Help with new system...MF vs. Primare

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Cyrene, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Cyrene

Cyrene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I'm a new member here but hope to hang around a while.
    I haven't really had time to search the forums so if I'm repeating another thread, please don't hesitate in pointing me in the right direction.
    i'm about to splurge a modest amount on a new system: integrated amp, cd player and new speakers, standmounts in particular.
    I listened to both the new MF X Ray v8 and the Primare starter range the L21 & CD21 teamed with Epos M12.2 on the same day and was great impressed with both although the MF set up seemed to extend the sound considerably.
    During that day i also had a session with some Arcam Diva and Rotel Ra06 equipment aswell as the Roksan Kandy MkIII offerings. Of this selection the former two brands sounded stuffy whereas the Roksan was pleasing but nowhere near the level of enjoyment of the Primare and MF.
    So, given my preferences which do you think I should go for. In terms of longevity I have no idea which system will come out on top. From an aesthetic point of view, the Primare is gorgeous looking stuff in my opinion but the MF ain't far behind.
    I'll also bargain for i/c and speaker cables accordingly and I'm quite taken with the Epos speakers so help me out with the above.
    Cheers.

2. ging32

ging32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't had any experience with the Primare kit although before purchasing my X-80 I did listen to a Roksan Kandy although decided on the MF as it was £200 cheaper and looked more interesting. I also loved the sound which is something that is still enjoyable today. Best of all I never find the sound and tone of the amp annoying. The treble seems just right, the bass nice and punchy and overall well tuned. I do like the look of the Primare stuff though and compared to the MF v8 series it will probably date better but go for which system sounds best to you.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342288

Primare lovely lovely kit. A small suggestion why not look at a second hand A30.1 Mk II you shoudl get one for £650, that leaves you money from the CD21 for a Sony NS900V (£100) and a set of Dynaudio Contour 1.1 or 1.3s ?

A different league of system to what you are considering dude. By simply changing emphasis on a new CDP & Amp, you can get a stunning big brother amp to the I21 and a set of glorious speakers, add on a superbly solid SACD/CD/DVD player from Sony easily competes with £500-1000 CDP to my ears.

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Would happily recommend either Primare or MF. Owned Primare gear, let it go (due to funds) then bought the CDP back again when cash allowed. MF I used to sell and was happy to do so. Good sounding kit and good support. It might be an idea to go with the S/H suggestion, and build the kit up to a higher spec all Primare or MF system later.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, both Primare and MF make lovely kit, but do aim for the higher stuff if you can ;)

i'd say either a MF A3.5 or A5 to get all the amplification you will ever need, or the Primare I30 (or second hand older variants)......the I21 doesnt have quite so much going for it in comparison.....

for CD, if you consider the MF amps, try them with an Arcam CD73....its a smashing combination on my MA GR10's, also on a pair of KEF 703's as well....

6. Cyrene

Cyrene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what about the Naim 5i CD and amp? In the same price range (sort of); apparently they have a sound sig that one must hear. A bit like tasting oysters, driving a TVR, getting drunk on Absinthe...that sort of thing.

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Problem. Naim gear is very distinctive in terms of sound and style. It's not to all peoples tastes. I like it, Karkus loves it, but others loathe it. Naim gear is crisp, direct, detailed but a very personal taste. Much like the Linn gear it was often partnered with in the past.

I would never recommend buying Naim gear until you have listened long and hard to it, not withstanding the fact that it doesn't come cheap. However, I would advise listening to all kit before buying.

The MF and Primare gear are much less 'polarising'.