1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with new speakers please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by brew2, Dec 28, 2004.

1. brew2

brew2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not happy with the sound of my system whilst listening to music in stereo, it sounds great with movies but way too boomy and not detailed enough with 2 channel CD, so time to upgrade the speakers.
    I am using the same speakers for the music and the surround sound and want great sound for both applications. I have been looking at Spendor S5e for the front pair and others from the range to complete the setup. I know this will sound great in 2 channel but not sure about multi channel. Can anyone advise if they have any experience of Spendor surround packages, or can they advise of any other packages that would fit the bill. Also if I upgrade to this level of speakers will I need to upgrade my sub?

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    brew2,

This all depends on your budget. I was in exactly the same boat as you not so long ago. I had an NHT speaker package that, while good with AV, was muddy and a little indistinct. I listened to Ruark Etudes, M&K 851's, Epos M12 and Quad basing my decision on centre and stereo performance.
    Looking at your system, you are leaning toward the lean, dry end of the spectrum with your Cyrus kit (though I am not sure how the Cyrus 8 is connected to the 2400 – does the Cyrus have a “Processor in” like Arcam sometimes provide?). If this is the case, might I suggest that you try Epos M&K and Ruark, as all these manufacturers make detailed, insightful speakers erring on the drier side of neutral. I would also say that I would prefer to get a smaller stand mount design, rather than floorstanders as the smaller speaker seems to be more detailed and less overblown(not that you have a choice with M&K, normally).
    As for a sub? I have never been fond of the Q150, it is way overpriced for what it is. If stereo use is important then the MJ acoustics REF1 is good, as is the B&W 675. I have just bought a Velodyne CHT12-R which is also a great performer, but big and very fussy on placement.
    A side note: Quad and Wharfdale are part of the same group, sometimes sharing technology. Quad are more refined than Wharfdale, mind, so don't think that the drawbacks of your Wharfdales will manifest in Quad speakers. The L sub is garnering good feedback, too, and the finish of the cabinets are superb, if you like hi-gloss.

Russell

3. brew2

brew2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Russell,

Thanks for that, I will take a look at some of those speakers you have mentioned, though it is always difficult to find places to audition all of the speakers you want to.
    I am running the Cyrus 8 as a power amp from the front pre out of the Yamaha and turning the power up to 12 o clock at which the output is at 0 dB gain so essentially runs as a power amp does, this seems to work well with movies once the levels are calibrated.
    Anyway, I have been studying articles in the forum/magazines and suppliers in my local area and will be looking to audition the following speaker manufacturers: Quad, Spendor, Monitor Audio and M & K.
    I would welcome any opinions on the following:
    I have been looking at the Quad AV package but wasn't sure if I would be getting the best out of my Cyrus kit with it??
    Are M & K speakers any good for stereo listening.
    Also has anyone listened to any AV systems with full speaker packages manufactured by Spendor or Dynaudio and what did they think?

Andy

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brew - The Quad speaker package is good but they would not give the best out of you're Cyrus amp the Spendor's or the Dynaudio's would really give the best sound but don't forget they cost alot more money aswell.
    I have heard the Spendor S6 as an AV package and also the S5e and they are excellent if Music is you're priority and are not too bad with films either. I have only heard the Dynaudio's in a Hi Fi setup and they are a very good match with the Cyrus kit.
    Have you considered ProAc speakers as i run the Response D15's with my Cyrus 8vs amp and the sound is very musical and IMO an excellent match although i have to say it is only used for Hi Fi.
    Ref to the M&K speakers i use the M&K 851's for my Home Cinema System and they are stunning with Movies and not too bad with music and can ceratinly recommend them if movies is you're priority.
    I would try and get as many demo's as you can as that is the only real way to find out what you really like, you have a good list of speakers already so go have a listen.. :)

John

5. brew2

brew2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help, will go and audition ASAP.

6. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Just as a double, double-check here - you are switching the Yamaha off (or in standby) and just using the volume control on the Cyrus only, when you're listening to CDs, right ? You're not routing CD through the Yamaha also ?

If are routing direct to the Cyrus 8, then it sounds like you potentially have a small room problem more than anything else - as boominess and masking of fine detail tend to go hand-in-hand. It's mid-upper bass that tends to set smaller rooms going (so the REL can be left out of these discussions). If all this is true (and I'm possibly guessing too far here), then a smaller set of speakers might be called for in order to avoid exciting the room. I had a similar problem a few years back; tried every floorstander (at every price) under the sun, but eventually had to drop down to a small quality set of bookshelf speakers in order to get back the incisiveness that I was searching for. The room just wouldn't take LF being put in at certain frequencies, and just boomed instead - making everything sound veiled. Sounds like a home trial is a must for you.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yeah I am also suprised you suffer the boom with music and not with movies. I assume you have the evo's away from corners and the back wall . I have the same problem and had to play with the position of one of my evo3's to stop it from booming. Also try the old pair of socks in the ports trick to see if that makes any difference.

8. brew2

brew2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I'm only routing the sound from the yamaha when listening to movies, With CD's Yamaha is turned off.
    Secondly I think you are right about the speakers being too large, the room is only around 4.7m x 3.5m and the Wharfedales produce alot of bass (sounded great in the demo room which was alot larger than my room).
    So hopefully small speakers should sort the problem, although I much prefer the looks of floor standers so I am hoping the Spendor S5e's (which are a very small floor stand speaker) will do the job but if not stand mounters will have to do. But the main thing is to get the sound right for movies and music which I dont think is going to be easy.
    One other thing that has been playing on my mind is that there isn't much furniture in the room, could adding some clutter/furniture and therefore some absorbtion help reduce the boom?

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Brew
    I have been in a similar position to yourself trying to balance movies and music listening,Best thing to do is to do away with the floorstanders and get a quality bookshelf speaker and possibly a better subwoofer,A svs 25-31 pc+ and monitor audio gr10 speakers would i think go along way in giving you what you are after.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)