Help with new laptop and screen format

Highpeakrider

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a mix of tech, desktop gaming PC, mac mini, NAS and 11 inch ipad pro.

Im looking for something mobile to supplement the ipad with a bigger screen full windows OS, I could be open to a mac book air.

Idealy i’ve been looking for a 2-1 with touch screen, the rub being I also want to use this as an add on PC when
using my flight sim as as its mainly for reading I like the 3:2 screen format , but have also looked at 16:10.

I have a surface go laptop on order to try but it misses on a few points, not 2 in 1, no backlit keyboard, but may be workable as it give me 3:2 for reading flight charts and spreadsheet.

Ive looked at Dell, Lenovo, HP etc but somehow can’t see what i’m looking for.
So i5 CPU or similar, 13-14 bright screen, 8 gig or more ram, minimal storage as it’s all on the NAS.
3:2 screen or 16:10. 2 in 1 for flexibility, touch screen.

Am I missing something or just looking for the wrong machine, I did look at the Dell XPS which the new ones are £1200 plus, and I started out wanting to spend about £700.

Any ideas or do i need to accept to get everything it a 16:9 screen to open up the market?
Ive had a number of macs over the years and i’m just used to that format screen.

What is your budget?
£700 - £1200

What size laptop do you want?
(In terms of screen size)
13-14

Do you have resolution requirements?
HD not 4k

Do you prefer a matte or glossy (reflective) screen?
Not bothered, must have a good bright screen

What will you be using the laptop for?
For example, Browsing, Word Processing, spreadsheets.

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play?
NA
How long does the battery need to last?
8+

Does it need to be portable?
Home use

Do you require Blu-Ray player or need the ability to play older disc media?
No
Do you require HDMI output?
No

Do you have a preferred brand?
For example Dell, HP, Acer,
Would prefer a well known brand

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid?
cheap ones

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?
Yes

Any other details you feel necessary... Colour; Webcam; Good quality speakers; general spec: CPU, RAM, HDD space, SSD; Operating System or anything else you can think of.

Just to add:
I started off thinking I just wanted a small laptop and the Surface Go fitted the Bill as it feels and looks like a macbook air and the 256gig is on offer at the same price as the 128.

Then I started looking at reviews and thinking, 2:1 in case we want to watch a bit of media in bed or on holiday, so it turned from a basic laptop into I want everything.

Do people actually use 2 in 1 laptops, do I really need windows touch screen?
Maybe a good basic laptop is the best solution , I’ll see what the forum thinks……

So you're happy with a wide and short aspect ratio and you're happy with a tall and narrow one but not something in between the two?

I don't think you need to be bothered about aspect ratio.

There is a review of the Lenovo Ideapad Slim 7 Carbon that might meet some of your needs, if you can find it, the laptop has a 16:10 touch display.

In the end John Lewis had the M1 MacBook Air discounted so I just changed my mind as it runs what I need and fits with the rest of my Apple stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom