Help with new imac display problem

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by barongreenback, Sep 6, 2007.

1. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My lovely new toy is acting up and before having to try (Applecare's) last resort of wiping everything I've done to set up this machine and start again I'd be hugely grateful if anyone has any suggestions. Basically my screen gets screwed up whenever anything changes on screen e.g. typing, movie, moving window, scrolling etc.

Then it looks like this:

http://www.malw.co.uk/photos/screencap2.jpg

I've done an archive reinstall, reset the pram, there are no startup items in that folder and the problem suddenly came on yesterday afternoon. The only thing I did this week in terms of new software was an update of the flash player (Apple don't seem to think this could have affected things but I unstalled anyway to no avail).

Anyone seen anything like this? Given that the display is fine in safe mode I think that the problem is software based but I'm willing to take any advice.

On that note, this is a custom build (2.8ghz) - can I still take it into the store for help? I'm a procare customer so I hope so.

2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    A couple of things spring to mind. Is the safe mode resolution the same as that set normally? I thought that in safe mode, a lower screen resolution was used. If so, then it could be the graphics card that's faulty when used a maximum resolution, or possibly even the display.

To sort out any software issues I'd reinstall (wipe the hard disk) from the installation CDs and see what happens, making sure to stop any online updates from being loaded for a while.

If the problem goes away, then, as you surmise, it's a software thing, which will need further investigation. However, I've never seen a graphics driver cause the sort of screen corruption that your screenshot shows, and my monney is on a hardware fault somewhere. In my experience, faults tend to occur on new equipment either within the first few days, or within the first month. Thereafter, stability should reign .....

Has Apple seen your screennshot?

HTH - good luck.

Clem

Now, if only I could stop my MAC mini intermittently blowing its fan at full blast at power on ......

3. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes, apple saw the screenshot (and the tech guy was suitably surprised). Didn't think to lower the res - will try that to make the unit usable until I can take it in to the store on Monday. Update: didn't work. From memory actually I think the safe mode was at the full res.

4. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you create another user account and log in on it, is the problem still present?

If not, it would point to your system preference file being corrupt.

5. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sorry, should have said this is one of the things I tried. Thanks anyway though - this should prove to be a useful troubleshooting thread if anything!

6. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It looks like an issue with the graphics card to me. You often see weird artifacts like that when there is a problem with the graphics.

I'd take it to apple and get them to sort it.

7. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yep, I think that's probably the case. So very glad I bought procare the other week.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    how will that work with an all-in-one? Is the graphics card a replaceable part? If not, can you do an image of the drive so you can easily restore on the replacement imac?

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    I think whether under procare or not the a'store should backup/restore for you ...

Jon

10. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well thankfully as I reported the problem to the Applecare line 13 days after delivery, they are classing the unit as DOA and I'll get a brand new replacement. Apple store in Birmingham took a second look at it this morning and confirmed it is indeed a dodgy gfx card.