Help with New HTPC install not going to well

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tcp/ip, Mar 20, 2005.

1. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Everybody,

I have put togehter a new HTPC

3200XP Processor
    MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard
    Nvidia 5700 256mb AGP Card
    300gig sata Drive
    SilverstoneTEC Case
    MCE2005
    MCE2005 remote
    1 gig DDR Ram
    Happauge 150 TV Tuner
    Wireless Network Card
    Panasonic PW5 Plasma

The problems I have are:

1) I have an optical out connected from the motherboard into the AMP but I am not getting Dolby Digital or DTS coming through

2) I have stereo cables running from my Sky digibox into my amp and the sync of the audio is way off when I watch Sky trough the live section of the HTPC - would i be better plugging the audio into the TV tuner card to stop this.

3) The biggest problem is the picture quality from Sky Digital when watched through MCE2005 its really not great. I have the Sky Digi box out putting RGB scart via a IOS cable into a RGB to SVIDEO converter and then have an svideo cable plugged into the TV tuner. I am then using the VGA connection on my plasma from the VGA card to plug in the screen. The quality is fine when using the Media Centre it is just Sky i am having major problems with. Also what is the best way of connecting up for PIC quality, is VGA good can I get component to work or would svideo be better.

4) What is the best resolution to have my PC set to for MCE2005 and my PW5 plasma.

5) When Sky HD comes along how will I be able to connect it up for HD ( yes i know I will need a new plasma)

6) As i live in Ireland there is no EPG yet for the Republic has anybody got around this by using XMLTV if so can you help me out.

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get this working before the misus kills me. I dont mind if I have to buy parts just tell me what I need within reason :D

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    Hi,

I can't help with all your probs, but a couple of them maybe.

What DVD codec do you have installed?
    Whichever it is make sure you select spdif out in the audio properties, you should then get DTS and DD to work properly.

The resolution you need is a bit experimental, I have settled on 1024 x 576 on my PW7 plasma, and it works well for video playback, MCE 2005 and web surfing.

I am afraid I can't help you with the sky issue, I also have not found a way of getting good enough live tv quality through MCE2005 yet, so use a separate Freeview PVR.
    I have just sold that Hauppauge 150MCE card, Apparently the Black Gold, or the Sweetspot MCE card are better, not got mine yet, but will do in next couple of weeks. I have asked 'Plugged In TV' if they will do a powerbuy deal on the Sweetspot MCE for AV Forum memebers, and they are thinking about it!

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best res is 856x480. You'll then need to adjust your screen (H & V position/size) to achieve 1:1 mapping. You'll loose 2 pixels either side as the screen is natively 852x480.

Yes, you'll have audio delay unless your amp/receiver has a delay feature or you run audio to the capture card too.

:smoke:

4. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Kramer what would happen if I got a new sound card that contains both optical in and out inputs would that sort the delay problem as the sound would be running through the PC as well.

I tried the nvidia dvd decoder trail but MCE2005 keeps giving a decoder error so I installed Power DVD 6 and it works but quality is not great

5. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    You will probably need to go into the setup for your codec to get it to output via SPDIF. I am not sure where this is for the power-DVD codecs but should not be too hard to find.

Yes. for stereo output, you are not going to really be loosing anything and this should ensure that everything stays in sync.

This is one of those holy grail type things. Currently the only way to get RGB into your system in cards like the sweetspot but this means that you loose out on hardware encoding which leads to higher CPU load, higher temps and slower systems. As it stands if you want hardware encoding (really recommended) then you are stuck with converting your RGB sky signal to S-Video.

I would have thought that VGA would be considerably better than S-Video but I have a lowly CRT screen :( so I could not tell you for sure.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Certainly VGA (aka. RGB) will be better than S-Video but when I watch my NTL STB via both I can't see too much difference, but then NTL's PQ isn't stellar to start with .. and as you say, it largely depends on the type and size of display as to how much difference you'll see.

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    What DVD codec do you have installed?
    Whichever it is make sure you select spdif out in the audio properties, you should then get DTS and DD to work properly.

:hiya:

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,625
    I have a PW5 ands Sweetspot card. I was unhappy wiht the SKY+ PQ until I achieved full 1:1 mapping using Powerstrip.

I'm at work at the moment but will post my Powerstrip settings for you tonight when I get home. Hopefully that will help !

9. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    :smashin: I'll look forward to seeing these too!

10. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,625
    Yeah, sorry meant to post them in the Plasma HTPC debate thread but didnt get around to it !

My excuse is its harder as its under the plasma and the wife n kids have first dibs :)

I WILL do it tonight !! :thumbsup:

11. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks a million for the replies everybody,

Sniffer66 i have downloaded powerstrip and installed it but not really understood what it does, if you have all the settings i need including the best resolution that would be great, it sounds like you and I have very similar setups so your help would be amazing

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

12. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    one other question can the sweetspot card be used with Microsoft Media Centre 2005

13. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Sorry in a rush did not read very well :suicide:

14. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    No, I don't think so :(

15. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    OK ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  16. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    i think that this media centre thing might get bined, another problem I have just thought off is if you are using MCE2005 for an EPG guide and for changing the channels on your sky digibox that you are going to get the Sky epg coming up everytime as well and this will look crap me thinks