• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with new home cinema system

devc

Standard Member
I have finally made the decision to buy the Sony 32V2000 LCD tv (as a 37 inch tv would be too big for the space) and the Sony's picture quality is far better then the rest. Or does anyone know of a better 32 inch LCD for the same price or less?

I am planning on getting Sky HD and am also going to connect a DVD player via HDMI and want both to go through a home cinema setup so due to the single HDMI input on the V2000 I take it I need a seperate AV receiver (with 2 hdmi inputs), speaker system and dvd player.
Until the decent HD DVD players are widely available at a reasonable price I think I am just going to get a cheap dvd player with hdmi upscaling output like the Toshiba SD360 - does anyone know if this can output xvid as well as divx formats? Or can anyone suggest a better all round cheap dvd player?

So my query (along with the xvid/dvd question above) is really can anyone suggest a decent receiver and 5.1 speaker system for about 600 quid all in?
I have read some reviews on the Sony STRDG700 and this looks good but does the HDMI passthrough mean I will need to connect an HDMI cable for video and a seperate digital audio cable for Sky HD and dvd player? If so can any system just use HDMI for both 5.1 audio and video? I could do with the least number of cables as possible.

Any additional features from the norm such as USB hosting would be a great bonus but not sure if available for that budget.

Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom