1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with new Denon 500 Please!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Manster, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, :hiya:

Got my Denon DHT-500SD today and just trying to set it up!

First question: Manual says positive wire on speaker cable is marked - but could only see feint black writing on silver coloured wire - is that the positive? I've assumed it is.

Got everything connected:

Denon via RGB scart to AV 1 on TV
    NTL cable (Pace) box via composite scart to AV2 on TV
    Video via composite scart to AV3 on TV

Am I right in thinking that the sound from cable should be pulled down the scart connected to the TV back to the Denon? If so, this isn't happening. When I switch the function to TV, all I get is the terrestrial tv sound. If i switch the tv to EXT2 - cable - all I get is a hissing sound. Where am I going wrong??? Please help? Is the TV button mentioned in previous threads a different thing to TV function mode - if so, where is it - I can't seem to find it? :confused:

Sorry to seem like a complete dunce - but I was sure I knew what to do after reading all the threads here.

2. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Manster,

It should work - I dont have a Denon but I have my DVD connected to AV2 and the NTL box to AV1 - it pulls the sound from whichever channel I watch - Terestrial/Sky whataver. Try swapping them over and see what happens. Good luck. Hope your husband has got over the shock of the extra cost.

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I didn't want to have a scart taken up by the Denon (connect by component) to provide for tv sound so use phono cables from the tv to the Denon, and this provides the sound from anything connected to the tv fine.

4. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For some reason - the phono cables when connected to the Denon from the TV wouldn't work. Don't know if there is a fault with the sockets on my tv. If so - this could explain why my old amp wouldn't work. Eeeek - don't tell my husband that the amp is probably okay and that the tv phono sockets are at fault!!! :eek:

I just don't understand - I can hear the tv (terrestrial) sound from the Denon on tv mode, but when I switch the tv to AV2 for cable, the sound still remains on terrestrial tv. Also when I play the vcr through the tv I still only get the terrestrial sound on the tv function. I understood that the Denon would pull the sound back from the tv to play whatever device was playing through the tv.

As a temporary measure I have connected the cable box directly to Video 2 and can hear the cable sound that way and I could probably do the same with the VCR to video 1. However, the cable box I have is quite old and I understand that they are being upgraded, but the new boxes have no audio output. This means that when I am upgraded I won't be able to get the sound from cable to the Denon

Has anyone got any ideas - I really want the sound to work through the scart as it seems to with everyone else. There's no way my hubby would fork out for a new TV! :suicide:

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm finding exactly the same thing Manster. I'm OK as my phono outs on the TV work fine. However I thought i'd try and mimic your connections and, sure enough, the TV only transmits the RF sound through to the Denon. How odd....

When you upgrade your NTL box, shop around and ensure your new one has phono outs. At least this way you can have your NTL to Video 2, your VCR to Video 1 and the TV via Scart with the Denon pulling the sound for any terrestrial viewing. This way you have 'em all covered.

It does sound like your TV's phono out 'aint working. Just quickly have a delve into the Tellies menu and have a ratch about for audio output settings. It may have some way to activate it. Unlikely though....

Looks like you'll just have to get used to flipping the 'Function' buttom

Jimmy

6. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I have the Denon connected to AV2 and Sky on AV1. No other connections (no RF, no VCR). Seems to do what you are trying to achieve with the Denon set to TV - Sound from Sky (AV1) comes through fine.

Not sure if that helps any...I'll try and find something to plug in to AV3 and see what happens...

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Right Conn, I've just connected mine the same as yours and it works! This may not help Manster as she only has one RGB scart - This may be the critical thing here.

Manster, try this anyway. Connect your NTL Box to AV1, and your Denon to AV2. I realise that this'll muck up your RGB output from the Denon, but it is worth checking.

Jimmy

8. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Likewise - only my AV1 is RGB. Found the picture on the composite scart perfectly good (100 hertz TV, not sure if this is why) so have not been in a rush to mess around at the back yet...sounds like I won't be bothering if this is the answer to the problem.

Would an auto splitter not help? So everything connects via the RGB scart?

9. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys - thanks for all your help - will try linking the Denon to AV2 tomorrow and NTL to AV1 - will let you know how this works out. Watched our first DVD tonight and the sound was brilliant - so glad I went with the Denon! :hiya:

10. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just to add my two pennies worth. I've got three SCARTS on my TV with only AV1 being RGB. Therefore Denon connected to TV's AV1 and Sky box connected to TV's AV2 (composite SCART) with Skys phono outputs connected to Denons Video 2 inputs. When I watch Sky switch Denon to video 2 but do also have to switch TV to AV2 SCART (follow that?).

I think I've got the same problem as you Manster, seem to only get the terrestrial signal being pulled down the SCART when switching the Denon to TV - so could possibly be to do with only having the one RGB SCART on the TV?

If they do upgrade your cable receiver you could just get a SCART - SCART lead with a stereo phono break out which you connect to the Denon.

Also, could you just not bother with your CD player and just use the Denon to play your CD's?

11. Yak

Yak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Manster,

It sounds like your problem is due to the outputs of the scart sockets. On the 2 JVC tvs I've owned scart 1 always outputs the current tv channel you're watching and scart 2 is switchable between all the other inputs. To hear the sound from the cable box you would need to connect the amp to scart2 and then set the output of scart 2 to the scart socket the cable box is connected to.

Hope this helps,

Yak

12. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone.
    Yak - yes - I sort of came to that conclusion - but to be quite honest - now it's all set up, I'm happy with what I've got. I've decided to leave it with the cable audio out going to video 2. If the cable box is ever upgraded to one that doesn't have audio outputs, I'll cross that bridge when it comes. You never know - the tv might even be due for renewal by then!!! ;)
    All I can say otherwise is - you were all right - the Denon 500 rocks. Great sound, great picture. I'm made up with it. Thanks again! :smashin: