1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with new AV AMP & DVD needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by trebor2, Aug 22, 2003.

1. trebor2

trebor2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had to sell all my hi-fi stuff, and replace with AV amp and DVD player.

Speakers I still have (i.e. Linn Keilidh, Linn Centrik and Linn Index).

Shorlisted the following amps:

Sony STR-DA5000ES (£740 at techtronics)
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 or VSX-AX5i (£594 & £885 at QED respectively)
    NAD T762 (£850 at avland)

or there's an old Denon AVC-A11SR (2nd for approx £800).

All offer 7 channel power except the NAD - is this important?

Looking not only for excellent movie sound, but passable music as well.

For DVD - shortlisted the following:

Pioneer 757i (£609 at techtronics)
    Sony DVP-NS999ES (£740 at techtronics)
    Marantz DVD-17 (£699 ex-dem)
    Cyrus DVD7 (£585 ex-dem)
    Arcam DV88 (£500 ex-dem not plus)
    Denon 2900 (£750)

Not bothered with progressive scan, but still looking for excellent picture quality along with good CD replay. SACD and DVD-audio are just bonuses.

ANy help appreciated.

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you can get hold of one you might like to look at the Pioneer 2011. I'm well happy with mine and you can biamp the front speakers if only using 5 channels.

For top quality CD reply I'd recommend getting separate CD & DVD players. If going for a pioneer amp the Pioneer 656 player multiregion through Richersounds at £300 is a good partner especially if you are not bothered about progressive scan and will save you £300 for a good CD player compared to the DVDs you have mentioned.

I'm considering this and a separate CD or maybe going for the 757 DVD player alone. Only just got the amp so I'm having to wait for the bank account to recover a bit first.

3. trebor2

trebor2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can get the Denon for £700 now - very tempting.

Offers all the current processing, superb power for 7 channels and good hi-fi performance.

4. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The T750 was my first amp, afterwards I have upgraded to a T751. The Amplification within this AMp was excellent, but the software and rare connection was extreemely limited. So I have moved to the next logical step and bought NAD T762. Its a monster Amp, great flexibility and massive power reserve. As you may know, Nad knows a thing regarding its amplification. The rare panel looks like a switch box with the ins and outs installed. If multichannel and stereo music is on your list than you are on the right track with this AV AMp.

As regards the Decoding the NAD covers all major formats, that you will find on an amp at this price, execpt for DTS24/96. (no upgrades intended by NAD)

My AMP is connected to a 5.1 setup, Kef TDM THX 4 ohms Speaker. The sound is sweet and warm in stereo music. As regards to film, Signals from the DVD are immediately locked on. The processing is quite fast and clear and paning from speaker to speaker is done with great ease. As regards to construction its built like a tank and weighs a ton due to the massive High Current Holmgren Toroidal Power Transformer installed within (a rarity at this price range).

A set of binding post for second room connectivity is installed on this amp, plus an rs232 port for Remote controls. The software within is quite flexible and very easy to operate. The only quirk is that software upgrades cannot be done from the RS232 port and a chip within must be replaced by an authorised dealer not to validate any warranties (NAD will be releasing new software patches for this amp whenever the needs arise) . The latest software version is 1.22. Mine is installed with 1.18 and cater for all major bugs, only cosmetics are tackled from 1.18 upwards. (so check your AV anps software before buying)

As from my part I think that I have made a great choice! But as always, the best thing to do is get a demostration and let your ears do the job for you!!

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If i wanted a dvd player which could do music..... id look at the arcam. There was a higher model for sale in the classifieds too.... might still be there.

Ad