• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with new 65 please

baronl

Standard Member
Having just decorated the lounge im ready to replace my older 3D Samsung 6300 LCD 46" with something a little newer. I have little idea what is best so would really welcome some advice please.

Almost all of our viewing is via SKY Q - Movies and sport and HD Netfix. We watch the occasional blue ray film. With a 4K ready TV id like to use some of the Ultra Sports channels but this is low use.
The room is south facing so is quite bright ( Blinds are fitted) We have 2 sofa's at 90 angle so only one is directly in front of the TV.

Ive read the OLED will be better for viewing angles and I do like the step up in tech. I was looking
at the 65 LG C8 or the Sony AF8. But would these be overkill for my viewing?
I did read also about local dimming Sony LCD/ Samsung QLED. Maybe these would be better and a cheaper option. (Not the Q9)
While I would like a good TV I dont want to pay over the top for features and benefits Ill never use, or certainly not any time soon.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Dodgexander

LG B8 is the goto option.

The Sony AF8/Panasonic FZ952 would be the cheapest OLEDs to have decent integrated sound at 55" but you'd be better off with the B8 and your own sound solution.

You won't get good viewing angles from anything else but an OLED in your second seating position. If that doesn't matter then some LCDs can be decent options too.

Bright room doesn't make a difference LCD versus OLED unless you trigger ABL a lot or want to watch HDR a lot when its bright (not recommended).

baronl

Standard Member
Thank you guys. I did look at the LG B8 but got somewhat blinded by comparisons to the C8.
Reviews were pushing the C8 with the new Alpha 9 processor and increased brightness.
JL are doing 18 months 0% credit on both models currently so with that in mind I could stretch to the C8. But I also read your article Dodge about not being fooled by the new processors spill from the manufacturer. I doubt if I would notice any real difference and ill save about £500 towards a decent sound bar with the B8. Thanks very much for the responses. Ill probably order the B8 this weekend.

Dodgexander

Well you already said you are using Sky Q so it makes the processor of the TV almost defunct when Sky will do all the up scaling work before the signal reaches the TV. That leaves the TV's processor only handling motion and I am not sure you'd notice any difference in motion between the two. On paper some of the features of the updated processor are nice, its the first time LG introduced dark frame insertion on their TVs but it doesn't work too well compared to other manufacturers as it flickers a lot and darkens the image.

But the C8 isn't a bad buy, its on par really with the competition, its priced only a little higher than the Panasonic FZ802.

Analysis

Banned
JL are doing 18 months 0% credit on both models currently

You might want to check if burn in is covered under the warranty, most likely not, as if you take finance out you are still liable for the loan even if you return the goods, trust me I've been through all of this about 20 years ago with HFC bank and PC World over a PC.

Personally I'd recommend buying on a 0% interest credit card as if something does happen you will have far greater protection than instore finance, again from experience.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom