• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Help with new 5.1 set up

samcress

Established Member
So... I'm moving house next month and my current set up I'm selling with my current house.

Current set up looks like this.
IMG_0051.JPG

I like to keep things nice and clean looking and I'm really struggling to plan my new layout and speakers in the new house this time.

The first hurdle is its rectangular and the sofa will be against the wall.

Like this..

IMG_4501.JPG

Originally I was going to just give up on 5.1 and get a sound bar (wife's choice!) either the Bose soundtouch 300 and sub or the Samsung Atmos bar. I'm still not counting them out as you can/do get rears with those bars but I like good 5.1 and like the idea of building the same Tv unit with a pair of decent bookshelf's sitting on the unit either side of the TV.

So far I've considered a pair of-:
Kef LS50
MA Apex A10
MA Radius 90
A used pair MA gold gx50

I'd obviously have to get a centre and some rears of which I'm not sure of.
I don't want anything to big for this job and with the sofa on the wall I'll be limited to what rears I can get away with, I'm thinking just a pair of MA radius 45's on stands either side of the couch (Depending on fronts) as for the centre I want it to look clean, could I get one to go on the unit shelf so it's a bit more "hidden"? Or not have one at all and go 4.1?

I'm also really confused if spending £1000-£1500 on speakers will be overkill in a small lounge, I could just get the Q Acoustics 7000 plus package and be done with it.

I'd like Atmos but I want to get the rest sorted first, I can add some ceiling speakers later.

My amp will probably be the Denon X3300 or Marantz 6011.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

samcress

Established Member
Yes, I've looked at them in my local shop, didn't listen to them as I come to the conclusion I wasn't keen on the look.

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Yes, I've looked at them in my local shop, didn't listen to them as I come to the conclusion I wasn't keen on the look.
Fair enough. What about MK M7 or MP7s? You could then go tripole for the rears which would help with positioning, something like M4T. Would need a budget of around £2k though, and thats before the sub.

The Monitor Audio Bronze FX could also work as surrounds as they are dipole, and would go with the other MA LCR you listed.

samcress

Established Member
I think the MK's would be to expensive.

Not sure if I'll get away with dipole, ideally yes I'd have them but they're pretty big I've got to keep it small/clean as it is still our family lounge.

samcress

Established Member
I've also considered the MA SB-2 or 3. Has anyone had any expirence of these or using a sound bar for the front channels?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom