Help with new 5.1 + receiver

Lee12

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping for some help from the experts with choosing a new sound system for use in a room dedicated for home cinema and pc.

The TV in there will be hooked up to a pc for music/games and to bluray for movies.
I'm after a 5.1 system that will excel both with HT and music, last me many years with no need to upgrade for a long time.

I would prefer to go with 5.1 set rather than mix/match components.
Budget for receiver + 5.1 is around £3k

From some preliminary research, the Monitor Silver 200 + AV12 combo looks like a good bet, so I'm going to try and find somewhere to demo, but not sure what would be a suitable receiver to make the best of it? Is this a recommended combination for what I'm after?

PT has couple great bundle deals of S200AV package with Marantz SR7012 / Denon X4400H. I think the 5.1 package is normally 2865£, but with this deal (w/receiver) 2965£/2999£ and 5year warranty for the receiver until end of July! I might ask how much it would cost with Yamaha RX-A2070 as the 3070 blows your budget.

Marantz SR7012 AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 5.1 Speaker Pack
Denon AVR-X4400H AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 5.1 Speaker Pack
Yamaha RX-A3070 AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 5.1 Speaker Pack

Also do some research which models compete in same price class (KEF, Dali etc) and then do comparison at hifi shop which you like most by listening them! Do not stuck with one brand when choosing speakers if possible. Choosing speakers is always so personal, without listening you won`t know which you like most. Trusting reviews blindly is another mistake.

You should be able to get better performing subwoofer for similar price, especially movies in mind. But if you don`t want to "mix" then it`s up to you. Most of dealers will give you price without subwoofer if you ask and basically there is no "matching" so you could choose something much better with your room size / performance in mind.. Just a heads up!

Do keep us updated as it`s always nice to hear which people like after they have done some comparisons!

Out of the three receivers Gasp has mentioned the Denon will probably by the weakest at music and the Marantz the best. All are good performers when it comes to movies. Speakers themselves, again I agree with Gasp that they are really a personal choice, we all hear things in particular combinations that we like that may not transfer to another listener.

I like the KEF R Serie, I know from experience that they perform very well with both Denon and Marantz components. Not so musically, certainly in stereo, when the Denon was driving them. For music the KEFs do thrive on power and will sound their best when an integrated stereo amp is fixed into the system, but this could be for the future.

Speaker choice will also be affected by the amount of space and possible positioning in your room. No good pushing a floorstander into a corner. A rough plan with dimensions of your room would be a great help.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I will ask PT about prices for the Yamaha RX-A2070 as part of the bundle, and how much the bundles are without sub. That's an interesting thing to know about the subwoofer options @gasp as strong bass performance is an important factor for me. I will perhaps peruse the subwoofer forum for some ideas there. I guess I could mix and match a bit, if its worth doing so.

@gibbsy The room is approx. 4m x 2.5m. with the TV going on one of the shorter walls. It's a converted garage with hard floor so I'm going to get a carpet in there at some point. Other than that, I just need to figure out what kind of chair/desk combo to go in there as it will be used for pc gaming and movies. I've not yet worked out how I will be able to sit up to use mouse/keyboard when gaming, but also be able to kick back for a movie on something more comfy than an office chair:)

I can get the Silver 200 package with Marantz SR7012 for £2300 without a sub. I'm thinking of pairing this with an SVS PB2000 - slightly over budget but doable. Is this a good match?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom