Help with NAS/Server Build

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by neonplanet40, Jul 14, 2015.

1. neonplanet40

neonplanet40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

Currently facing a conundrum on replacing my storage server. I have used my WHS server for years. But it has been a nightmare - more to do with the rubbish that was Windows Home Server. I have now decided I would like to change this system.I have just upgraded my N40L HP Microserver to the new Gen 8 and it will be used as a htpc.

What I need is for a file system to hold all my data. My hope is that XBMC on the Gen 8 could connect to my video files etc on the new server and play them through the Gen 8. So really the new server just needs to store data. I always liked the simplicity of the software raid which ran on WHS because I don't know much about raid etc. However this obviously wasn't that great or I wouldn't be changing now. So what do I do now?

I only really have a budget of £250-£300.

This would need to buy a psu, cpu, motherboard and ram (low powered gpu to connect monitor if needed?). I already have hard disks.

I have seen people recommend FreeNas but it seems to need a supermicro motherboard, xeon cpu and 16GB of ECC ram or so (which pushes it way over my budget?).

What are my other options? I am open to both hardware and software ideas. At the minute I am a bit stuck!

Thanks for your help all!

Mark

2. geordieboy25

geordieboy25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Freenas doesn't need that much. It does now recommend 16gb but certainly not a supermicro motherboard. I've had freenas running in a VM issuing about 1gb ram allocated to it. Just for testing, no real streaming etc. you could easily build a tower/server for approx £100 which would suffice. There are decent deals on eBay for a supermicro socket 1336 motherboard for £39 (you don't need supermicro, just this is what I am running an esxi machine so using it as an example) I got mine with a free quad core xeon cpu. It takes upto 24gb ram in 8 x 4gb sticks. Then all you need is a decent sandisk 16gb USB stick which can be plugged into the onboard USB. The board I'm using is the x8sti. Have a search, it's not the most upto date but great value for money.