help with name of an instrument used by Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shahedz, Nov 6, 2005.

1. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    does anyone kno what the name of the instrument is that is used by Pink Floyd a lot? its the one used in Dark Side of the Moon quite a bit ( me thinks) it sounds like a guitar but , is played on top of your lap. you have a attachment on your finger which you slide along to play the insturment.

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    It's called a 'pedal steel' guitar if it's the same one I'm thinking of.. :)

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Slide Guitar

4. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    i was thinking of an instrument similar to just the neck of the guitar. laid across your lap. does such a thing exist? or was i imagaining it?

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Trust me :rolleyes:

Found else where:

A brilliant concept album, "Dark Side Of The Moon", borrows from the psychedelic and British psychedelia music of the 60's and combines it with the new sounds of the progressive rock era of the 70's. The groups slide guitar and piano playing works perfectly well with the eerie voacal work and overall theme of the song

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    I always thought it was a Fender twin-neck pedal steel that Gilmour used on Dark side of the Moon... :D

Slide guitar is more the name of the technique... the instrument will be either a lap-steel or pedal-steel.. depending on whether it has pedals or not..;)

7. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    cheers pal! thats sorted out the mystery of the instrument!

8. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    just read this post :confused:

9. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I would not be surprised if they actually had custom guitars built.

I'm sure an avid Floyd adict will be along soon enough though.

10. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    gibson EH150
    [​IMG]

the pink floyd live at pompie and the essential albums dark side of the moon dvds show some great making of dsotm footage btw

there was also a EMS Synthi Hi-Fi guitar synthesizer used on time

early effects consisted of a Binson Echorec tape delay, Dallas-Arbiter Fuzzface fuzz box, Uni-Vibe pedal, Vox wah-wah pedal, a DeArmond volume pedal, and Leslie and Yamaha RA-200 rotating speaker cabinets. The latter were routed through the output sections of Hiwatt heads and then to WEM 4x12 cabinets. in 1972, he added a second Binson Echorec and a second Fuzzface, an MXR Phase 90, a Crybaby wah-wah, an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress flanger, Big Muff fuzz, an Orange treble and bass booster, and a custom tone pedal

amp wise he used Selmer 50-watt head with a 4x12 speaker cabinet, then Hiwatt 100-watt heads with WEM 4x12 cabinets which are on dsotm. he sometimes added a Fender Twin Reverb combo amp with two 12-inch speakers for certain studio parts like dsotm

11. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    he didnt use twin necks or custom guitars normally. dave owns the #0001 production line fender strat btw. he used the strat 90% of the time and a telecaster most of the other times, and ovation accoustics. dave was also rumoured to have played many bass parts on floyd albums as he was a more competant player than roger

he used Gibson Sonomatic strings made of a customized light-top (using the standard E and B for the B and G) and heavy-bottom set gauged .010, .012, .016, .028, .038, and .050. with a a Herco heavy-gauge plectrum

so there you go, get on ebay and start your own floyd tribute band

12. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    cheers unique!!

by the sounds of it ( no pun intended) once i've sold a kidney i'm gonna be able to affored one of those instruments i love the sound on it. have you heard of that instrument that you literally move your hand up and down in their air in front of it and makes a cool sound, i think kratfwerk used it and Moog makes one, but ,like anything Moog made costs an arm anda leg!

13. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    I think that's a 'melotron'...? could be wrong though..

If you're gonna save up for something special... why not go the whole hog and build yourself a laser-harp a la Jean Michelle Jarre... :D

14. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    pedal steels aren't that expensive, but if you want the same one as gilmour it might cost a few quid

theremin is the other instrument your thinking about, not used by floyd, but most famously used on good vibrations by the beach boys, inspired by the old sci fi horror movies which used it a lot. invented by a 21 year old louis theremin in 1920. moog adjusted it to create the pitch change, and eventually went on to retail his own models (he died earlier this year)

the mellotron is another instrument entirely. used by the beatles most famously on the introduction to strawberry fields forever. the original 100 model used 14 looped tape samples, thus is the precurser to the modern sampler. invented by harry chamberlain in 1946

dsotm also used the VCS53 synthesiser famously during "on the run", but also used it on obscured by clouds. kraftwerk then used it on "autobahn", but "baba o reily" by the who was the first track of note to use it

15. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    theremin!! thats the one, is it used in spinning the wheel by George Micheal> if not what it?
    how do you know so much, do you produce music?
    i never noticed it in Good virbratioons but just played in now and there it was!

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I really like DSOTM. :cool:

Next on my list of CDs to buy is Dub Side of the Moon which is awesome. :)

17. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    He's used several. as well as the piccie already posted (here's a vid http://www.mphase.com/media/gilmour56k.ram ), he has also used a different type, mounted on a table ('one of these days' is when it usually makes an appearance) yet to find a picture.

18. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    no theremin on spinning the wheel, trumpet, flugelhorn, sax, trombone, guitar and keyboards. i think it's the trumpet your getting confused with. george has never used theremin on any of his music. actually george not only writes and produces his own stuff but plays the majority of instruments. you would be surprised just how much of wham was george michael. andrew ridgley never did any vocals for wham. and pepsi and shirley were more dancers than backing vocalists, in fact they aren't even credited on the first wham album, and they only made two proper albums. paul wellers ex wife dee c lee did most of them live and in studio

i just know so much cuz i'm a ex geek, used to work in record stores like the one in high fidelity (i've actually visited the real store where that was filimed in chicago) and you just have to know more than everyone else. that movie is no exageration, i've encountered every single cliche from customers giving you tapes of stuff you don't want to listen to, to playing awful stuff on purpose and pretending it's cool so you can shift a few copies.

oh, and i'm a bit of a floyd/beatles/george michael fan (amongst many other acts), so i know lots of boring details

19. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    the link didnt work can you resend pls

20. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    man you werent kidding about having to know your stuff in music! i'm a huge floyd, george michael and and Prince, what i like about thier music especially is the way it sounds on a good hifi.

"i've encountered every single cliche from customers giving you tapes of stuff you don't want to listen to, to playing awful stuff on purpose and pretending it's cool so you can shift a few copies. "

thats hilarious!!

21. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
  22. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    we'll prince is my #1 guy, i have the same hohner telecaster as his and a number of different plectrums he's used, as well as one of his tamborines used at a couple of gigs in london. i've also been lucky enough to have visited paisley park studios a number of times, and in fact the last time i was there i was onstage with the man himself. i've been lucky enough to meet him quite a few times, even being very fortunate to spend a couple of hours in the studio with him chatting about music and movies (we'll actually he did all the talking). i also got to see a lot of his instruments, he has an unbelieveable amount of guitars considering he normally is seen with either the hohner, the cloud or the symbol guitar. i didn't get to play any of them, but i got to hold the guitar from purple rain with the water pistol built in thats sprays at the end of the movie, i did get to play a bit on the drum machine that features heavily on all the 80s hits from 1999, when doves cry, kiss, raspberry beret, etc, and sit at his $750,000 piano, the only one of which in america. i also got to see all his cars in the garage underneath the studio, many of which are recognisable from movies and videos - oh, and i have a pic of myself on the bike from graffiti bridge

through prince i've also managed to see and meet a number of other artists like alicia keys, norah jones, maceo parker, eryka badu, macy gray, chaka khan, robbie williams, and paul maccartney, either at his own studio or at other tv studios. meeting robbie, macca and prince in one day was quite something when you consider how much they are worth and the music they have contributed to the world

23. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    WOW!! how did you meet him? man i am impressed!

24. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i've met him quite a few times, from normal gigs to aftershows, tv shows, and then going across to paisley park a few times. just being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people, and acting cool when the situation occurs. plus a lot of luck! you begin to get recognised when your at all the shows, and get invited onstage, or when things happen if your in the right place at the right time you get picked as your known not to cause trouble. of course getting friendly with security and techs helps too, and of course getting to know the other members of the band and support. thats where you get the cool stories and tip offs about whats going on, such as advance notice of the famous aftershows. to see prince come onstage in a tiny club or in his own studio at 3am and jam for a few hours is the ultimate live experience.

the only gig i've seen to come close to a prince aftershow was justin timberlake joining NERD onstage at the mtv aftershow party for a couple of songs, but remaining on stage through the whole set to take over pharells lead vocals on all the NERD stuff, then sing pharells solo hit frontin', joined by the black eyed peas and sean paul who did the jay z rap - now that was a HOT show and completely impromtu and never done before, you could tell it was spur of the moment as pharell just sat down on the stage and let JT take over. NERDs backing band were the guys who played on JTs record, so they did 3 of his biggest hits whilst he played guitar and keyboards. you gotta give the guy credit where due, he really rocked the place. that was a one off, but prince does that stuff all the time, and never fails to impress. you just never know what he is going to play or do next, from playing a brand new tune, to covering something he heard on the radio, or a half hour funk jam, or just rip the place up on guitar