Help with MyBook Live

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by anTTony, Feb 13, 2014.

1. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi, new to all of this and have set up a 2tb mybook live. It all seems working apart from when I've set up 8player app on my iPhone (I want to stream mkv to my iPhone)

When my iPhone is on the home network it picks up the NAS and I can play away. I've saved this drive in the app, but when I'm on 3G it disappears. It seems to state in the help, that I should have a static IP address?

When I check the settings on the NAS, it says network mode: DHCP.

When I change it to static, its asking me to enter:

IP address
    Netmask
    Gateway
    DNS server

But I have no clue on what values to enter!!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Antony

2. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Without configuring your router and having DNS entries etc... it's unlikely you will be able to get this to work over 3G.

Essentially, when using the App within your home network, it can 'find' your mybook like as you are both in the same 'room'. Imagine that you want to communicate with someone. When you are in the same room, you can see each other and talk to each other.

If you are out and about, and want to talk to that same person, you need another means to talk to them, using a phone - but you know the number and can call that number and then have the conversation.

It's the same with networking, When you are on 3G, you're somewhere in another part of the country, and your App cannot see your mybook unless you tell it how to contact your mybook. You need a phone number which is your routers IP Address. But unlike a telephone number this is not constant and may change. So people use a service called DDNS which is configured on your router and gives your router a name (like myinternet.ddnsprovider.com for example). The router then updates the DDNS service when your IP Address changes.
    But that's not the end of it.

Your App also needs to know the routers IP Address/DDNS Name. And in addition, your router will need to be configured to let your App communicate with your mybook server (Port Forwarding)

That of course assumes the App supports this! This is not for the fainthearted to setup and depends upon the capabilities of your router and App. And will also be subject to upload speed of your Internet connection.

3. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the explanation. What I can't understand is that the wd app works great over 3G and I can see photos and the movie files, but it won't play anything other than apple format movies. How can this app see my nas ok, but not 8player?! :( cheers

4. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Not sure if it's any help, but I have 100mb virgin BB with their superhub

5. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    That makes no difference. I see the issue here, the 8player only support uPNP/DLNA connections. That is something that you cannot change and unfortunately, the uPNP/DLNA is restricted to the Network Subnet that you have at home - it cannot pass beyond your router to the Internet, so you won't be able to use this outside of your WiFi at home.

6. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The WD App probably uses an account you've setup when you first set the Mybook Live up, and creates a path for you to access remotely on 3G, hence why you can use it!

7. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for your help..that seems to make sense.

Do you know if there are any other apps I could use or am I doomed to convert to mp4?!

Much appreciated