Answered Help with my YSP-5600

centrius

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my YSP-5600 for a while now (soon 3 years) and i love it. Problem is that i never really felt that i get the most out of it. The 3D sound isnt really there, except in some rare cases. Only installed the speaker ones, with the Intelibeam setup.

So my question is: is there a good guide for how to get the most out of your 5600? Is Intelibeam the best or should you do it manually? Both?

I have the older 4100 unit. I used intellibeam to do the basic setup then adjusted the channel levels a bit. For some reason, as an example, the centre channel was set at way too low a level. Experimentation is the key.

Clem

Last edited:
Do you have surrounding walls (left and right)?
If so, the Intellibeam seems to work very well as long as you remember to save the settings after the calibration! I tend to boost the surround l/r and ATMOS up-firing drivers a little... but typically the microphone seems to do a good job.

Do you have surrounding walls (left and right)?
If so, the Intellibeam seems to work very well as long as you remember to save the settings after the calibration! I tend to boost the surround l/r and ATMOS up-firing drivers a little... but typically the microphone seems to do a good job.
oh my....did i forget maybe ??????

The Yamaha kit works best in squarish rooms where it can bounce stuff around easily enough. The intellibeam setup takes care of things like sofas, curtains, etc. and is generally fine if you sit directly in front of the bar. If however, your seating doesn’t follow those ‘norms’ then tweaking the settings is a good way to go. Manual setup is possible, where you can set your own distances and delays, but it’s not for the faint-hearted.

Clem

The Yamaha kit works best in squarish rooms where it can bounce stuff around easily enough. The intellibeam setup takes care of things like sofas, curtains, etc. and is generally fine if you sit directly in front of the bar. If however, your seating doesn’t follow those ‘norms’ then tweaking the settings is a good way to go. Manual setup is possible, where you can set your own distances and delays, but it’s not for the faint-hearted.

Clem

@Clem_Dye, this is how the room looks (see uploaded file). It should be good enough for the sound to bouncy up, down, behind and around.

Attachments

• room.png
    room.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 146
Yes, I think so, although you do have an opening to the right, when looking at the picture. I’d go with the automated set-up, then using some well-known material, tweak the levels — if the 5600 is like my 4100 it’ll be a doddle.

Clem

The right opening shouldnt be an issue, since its not facing the the YSP. The thing is that the right side is actually the side that works best.

I did fiddle around with the auto settings yesterday and tested some 5.1 sound tests on youtube, and the forward sound profile is actually a bit better, but the sides/behind are abysmal. Im starting to think that i have to little space behind the sofa, its around 40-50cm from wall to where the head is places, so it can be a bit hard for the beam to bounce. Still would imagine a better side sound.

I don't think that's it. In my last home I had pretty much the same set-up, with a large opening in my through lounge in what would be the left of your picture. In that setting, the auto setup worked fine. In my current home, I have two sofas at angles in a V, so as to give access to a wood burning stove, so have an off-centre listening positions. I tweaked the settings to compensate.

Have you got any wall coverings behind your sofa that could be altering things, heavy rugs, stuff like that. Why not experiment by tweaking the levels for the various speakers? They're easy to change and revert.

One thing that I did notice was that the first time that I set the bar up at my latest home, the auto-setup selected 3-beam, and that sounded horrible. Once I'd re-jigged the room setup, re-running the auto-setup got me back to 5-beam, which sounded so much better (and what was I was used to). I tweaked the levels once I'd got back to 5-beam status.

Clem

How can I see if I have 3- or 5 beam? Never saw that setting when auto setting yesterday?

After auto-setup I see 5-beam in the front panel display. You can also modify it, as I recall, via the settings.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom