Help with my SVS subwoofer phase not changing???

kenlong69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Well I'm more than impressed with my recent purchase of an SVS 20-39 PC+! It absolutely shakes my flat and is by far more accurate than my VX-10!! ;)

I have set it up through a BFD and have flattened the bass curve (which admittedly didn't take much!) and it now sounds great! (Well to my fairly novice ear anyways!). I tried it in several different locations but got the exact same respose... which is good I think...

My problem though is that no matter where I place the sub, moving the phase knob from 0 to 180 never makes a noticable difference in the test tones from the Avia (or any other test tone).

Is that normal?

If not, what could possibly be set up incorrectly? I have made sure that the delyas (distances) are very accurate.

Cheers for any input!

Ken

Ken

Rather than rely on test tones, go by your ears for the phase. You should be able to hear a difference as one setting will have more emphasis on the upper bass whereas the other will emphasize the lower bass. It's best to use a fairly bass heavy music track to do this.

Also helps to have someone flipping the phase whilst you sit at your main listening position rather than listen, get up, twiddle, sit back down............etc etc :)

Hey Jase!! How's things down in Espana?? Aren't SVS lovely???

Thanks for the info!

I was using the warble tones from Avia. I didn't have anyone to change the phase for me BUT i used an SPL and it didn't change at all as I turned the phase knob.

Should I be getting more bass when the phase is set correctly? And should I be testing with or without my main spekaers?

Is a lower bass track (ie - sub 50 Hz) better to test?

Cheers and sorry about all the questions!!!

Ken

All fine here Ken :) The SVS subs are great!

When I originally used the AVIA tones I didn't use the warble ones but the other ones that are on the disc (before the warble tones if my memory serves me right!). In the end I used music as it was easier to hear the difference. You should be testing with the main speakers on as well.

In my case the phase made the sound more "fuller" in one position, with a bit more emphasis on upper bass, switching the phase the other way and that bass disappeared and the deeper bass became over prominent leaving it sounding a bit thin higher up the frequency.

I think any music with a constant bass beat is best as you are trying to get a decent blend between the sub and the main speakers. Most of it is just trial and error though!! :)

Gotcha! I think it's time to get a partner involved in this phase testing malarchy!

Thanks for your help Jase!

I may be heading down to Barcelona in Jan/Feb to visit a friend. How close are you? It would be great to meet up! I'd LOVE to hear your system!!!

Ken

Originally posted by kenlong69

I may be heading down to Barcelona in Jan/Feb to visit a friend. How close are you?

Not very close Ken. About 550 Km away from Barcelona!

DOH!

Perhaps some other time then! Where in Spain is it?

Ken

Are you playing the tones through your main speakers at the same time as the sub? The phase control is to set the phase of the sub to match your speakers.

Hey Gary.

Yes I'm playing the tones through my left + sub, then my centre + sub, then my right + sub etc etc The way that the Avia DVD does it.

Ken

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom