1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With My Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by comeclickbuy, Mar 17, 2002.

1. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased My setup about 5 months ago and set it up as best as i could but i still dont think it's setup so i am getting the best out of it, i would really appreciate some help as to which speaker to set as large/small and cross over frequency any anything else which would make it better

My setup

Sony DVP-S7000 (DVD Player) (Not relevant really)
    Sony STRDB1070 Receiver
    Mission M73 Fronts
    Mission M72 Rears
    Mission M7c Centre
    Kef PSW1000 Subwoofer
    And 22 metres of Silver aniversary cable lol cost a bomb

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,185
    What is it that makes you think that it is not set up properly?

If you can give us some details we can do our best to try and help.

3. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm well mainly i dont think theres enough boom (lol i dont know what u call it Bass?) especially when playing music it just seems abit dead i dont think i have the cutoff frequency right for when the sub should kick in mainly because i dont really understand it, but it may be todo with the speakers been set to large when they should be small, maybe i should get rid of the sub? is the sub good enough for the speakers

if you had my setup what settings would you use? for the cutoff etc my whole budget disapeared leaving me with just £150 for a sub so i had to skimp on it,but it would be nice to get the most out of what i have

Thanks again

Mark

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Hi,

What is the cut off set too on the back of yr sub?

I think it should be no more than 80hz or else it just becomes a large midrange.

My 1070 is set pretty much standard out the box with speakers set to large and sub set to yes.

While listening to yr music source try changing the cutoff on the amp up and down until you get the sound your looking for.

Although Subs are not particularly directional they dont sound good if positioned to the rear or behind the settee.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set all speakers to small and direct bass to sub. This should give you the best results.

If you can get hold of an spl metre set channel levels to 75db,
    Sub will be the hardest to set, so set at 75db first and then fine tune from there, depending on how much bass you like.

Don't know much about the sony amp and it's bass managment, that is knowing what cut off frequecy the speakers will cut off at when you set them to small, some amps let you select the cut off 80Hz 120Hz etc (someone on this forum with the same amp will help you there). Missions go down to about 40Hz so select 80Hz if you have that option, then set sub 5/10Hz above.

Sub will be the weakest link, i would look at replacing the sub on your next upgrade.

Hope this helps......

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are playimg music in two channel mode I don't think that the amp utilizes the subwoofer. Try using one of the DSPs (eg stereo movie) where you can adjust all of the parameters and remove all processing. This will leave you with pure stereo including the subwoofer.

Playing with the placement of the speakers might help but the sub is the weak link and won't give you the depth or slam of a more expensive model.

You will have to play with the crossovers to see what sounds best but I would set it as low as possible on the grounds that the speakers are probably better at reproducing upper bass than the sub woofer.

7. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help
    I had the crossover of the sub right in the middle (100hz)
    i think i will have a play tommrow and see what sounds best the missions do cutoff at about 40 i will set the speaker to small and start with cutoff to 80 on AMP then adjust the sub until it sounds right

1 more quick question what is
    Phase Adjust and Input Level on the back of my sub for? will they have any efect on the performance?

Thanks again

Mark

8. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    The phase control on the back of yr sub can help with the cutoff between yr main fronts and the sub.

When yr speakers are in phase they all move their cones in the same direction where as if a speaker is out of phase it moves in the opposite direction.

This gives the possibility to cancel out certain frequencies thus playing around with the phase control on the back of yr sub can give you a smoother transition between the cutoff frequencies of yr fronts to yr sub.

Hope that helps.