• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with my quest in deciding on a full HD projector that gives excellent 2d and 3d.

hype_male

I would like (you know how / expert) guys to guide and advise me on choosing a full HD projector that gives excellent 2d and 3d.

I am certainly no expert but based on reading reviews after reviews and watching videos on youtube the projectors I have been researching on are: Optoma hd33, Optoma hd25, Benq 1070, Espon 6100, 6000, 5910 and 5900.

I have only demo epson 6100 and optoma hd33 and with my (no expert eye), I thought the epson 6100 had more colour and sharpness than the hd33. The first film demo on the hd33 looked grainy but with the epson 6100 this was not the case. The second film demo on the hd33 was much better with no grain but notice the colour dropped a bit compare to the same film on the epson 6100. This is why I thought epson LCD maybe the way to go over the DLP mentioned above but the current discontinued price of the hd33 is very tempting. Would probably have to consider a second hand if i was to go with epson 6100 or 6000. the price of the benq 1070, epson 5910 and 5900 looks good to.

The guy who did the demo told me that benq 1070 doesn't handle fast moving picture well and my research lead me to believe that benq 1070 can not do 1080p 3d.

The room the new pj is going in is painted magnolia with a white ceiling and cream curtain. Room is 330 cm long and 250 wide.

I plan to use projector for blu ray via ps3 (for now), hd contents via virgin media, mkv, 3d sbs /iso

Which projector do you expert think would give excellent 3d and 2d out of the ones I have mentioned above.

Dan L

The guy who did the demo told me that benq 1070 doesn't handle fast moving picture well and my research lead me to believe that benq 1070 can not do 1080p 3d.

That's nonsense, sounds like he was just trying to make a sale to me - I take it he didn't have stock of the 1070?

The Benq handles fast motion just fine (games etc) and of course it can handle 1080p 3D :D

One other thing to check is the screen size vs. your throw distance. Use the Projector Calculator to input your distance and desired screen size as this may affect your choice, since you are working with a relatively short throw distance.

hype_male

That's nonsense, sounds like he was just trying to make a sale to me - I take it he didn't have stock of the 1070?

The Benq handles fast motion just fine (games etc) and of course it can handle 1080p 3D :D

One other thing to check is the screen size vs. your throw distance. Use the Projector Calculator to input your distance and desired screen size as this may affect your choice, since you are working with a relatively short throw distance.

thanks for the reply. there is that saying 'never trust a sales man' and no they didn't have any 1070 in stock.

As for your other comment, i put the 1070 on my list of pj because of my room size. i believe the 1070 is short throw. when i went for the demo of the epson 6100 and optoma hd67 there demo room was also small an smiliar to my room size and they achieve 80 inches wide image which for me is still bigger than any tv. this is why i have also put the like of hd33 and epson (long throw) on my list. As long as the pj I get is full Hd and offers excellent 2d and 3d combination, I am willing to sacrifice big screen for quality performance instead.

Dan L

Trust me, 80" won't satisfy you for long. I already think my 100" is too small....

hype_male

Trust me, 80" won't satisfy you for long. I already think my 100" is too small....

Greedy lol. I had 100'' screen in my old house but I have moved and the room am thinking to put a new pj is only 330 cm x 250cm so I thought something in the region of 92 '' screen which would give me 80'' image size would suit me more. I would go for bigger screen if i had more throw distance but 330 is my maximum throw distance.

Dan L

My Benq throws a 100" image mid-zoom at 2.6m, and can go bigger from that distance.

keane16

At what size do you start losing picture quality? I'm looking to get a w1070 in the next few weeks. Would be looking at a 100inch screen myself but want to retain all quality on it, I have a distance of about 10 foot to where I can place the projector on the ceiling

hype_male

My Benq throws a 100" image mid-zoom at 2.6m, and can go bigger from that distance.

Given my room size and short throw of the benq 1070 its always gonna be on my list. It is tempting to go for short throw to get bigger but it is not the larger the picture size the further one need to sit. Just cant decide as although the epson 6100 i demo few weeks ago was fantastic I have read reviews from unhappy. the price of the hd33, hd25 and benq 1070 is very tempting.

Dan L

Given my room size and short throw of the benq 1070 its always gonna be on my list. It is tempting to go for short throw to get bigger but it is not the larger the picture size the further one need to sit. Just cant decide as although the epson 6100 i demo few weeks ago was fantastic I have read reviews from unhappy. the price of the hd33, hd25 and benq 1070 is very tempting.

Obviously yes, it comes to a point where you can be sat too close to a large screen. I'm seated at around the same distance as the throw (2.5m) and it's more comfortable than you'd think (when you try to imagine it, it feels too big compared to how close you are). I reckon I could push to 106" but any more than that at the distance I'm sat would start to feel too big, too close.

Dan L

At what size do you start losing picture quality? I'm looking to get a w1070 in the next few weeks. Would be looking at a 100inch screen myself but want to retain all quality on it, I have a distance of about 10 foot to where I can place the projector on the ceiling

You don't necessarily "lose quality", you are just enlarging the resolution you have available, which isn't really the fault of the projector. SD stuff @ 100" does not look great, even some 720p stuff looks a bit woolly on the edges. For me, most 1080p material @ 100" from my view distance looks very sharp indeed.

hype_male

Obviously yes, it comes to a point where you can be sat too close to a large screen. I'm seated at around the same distance as the throw (2.5m) and it's more comfortable than you'd think (when you try to imagine it, it feels too big compared to how close you are). I reckon I could push to 106" but any more than that at the distance I'm sat would start to feel too big, too close.

The short throw of the benq is tempting for bigger picture at short distance but the fact one has to send pj to benq each time a new fireware update comes out is putting me off plus i have not used a benq pj before so think (am gonna do one last research) but would probably settle for a brand I know about and have used two of their pj before (I guess what am saying is that I will probably go for the hd33 or the hd25 once i have also demo the 25).

I can get the hd33 (which i have demo) at the current price of the benq 1070 (but the 1070 does come with 5 years free warranty).

The epson 6100 i demo with the hd33 did look good but that is out of my £900 maximum budget plus again I have not used lcd before and given that the epson is over £1k have read review from unhappy owners.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom