Help with my Plasma please...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by amoros, Dec 28, 2006.

1. amoros

amoros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a warning I am new when it comes to TV's so bear with me... :p

A couple of days ago I purchased a Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma for £850 including a wall mount.

Now it's the older model and it doesnt have any direct connections to the back of it to connect it to my PC - I believe they are called HDMI connections... correct? Or do these have something to do with High Definition?

The guy in the shop told me a "VGA -> Video" cable can be bought but since then I have done my homework further and it seems the quality will be fairly poor. A guy in a shop said something about a converter but he also said is expensive to buy a converter unit... £200...

I am considering taking it back, getting a refund on my Plasma and going for this model : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=AV-010-SA

On paper it seems a better choice.

A few questions I have about the Samsung in that link above.

1. What is better Samsung or Panasonic? IMO they are both failry decent brands?

2. Does the Samsung have all the needed ports so I can connect it to my PC just like I do with my PC Monitor?

3. In your experience how good shall I expect the quality of my PC images to be on the Samsung Plasma? Is it really worth getting the Samsung or shall I just forget about getting the TV connected as PC monitor as quality is not good enuogh?

Thank you in advance!

p.s. srry about long winded post... hope not too much rabble... :)

2. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    HDMI is indeed for High Definition.

Do you know what model of Viera this is?

3. amoros

amoros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a TH - 42PE50B.

4. amoros

amoros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone able to give me a hand?

thanks! :)

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    For £850, take it back right now. You can get what you need for just a few quid more, still with the Panasonic name on it. IMHO avoid samsung like a syphilitic plague, naff company, naff product, nonexistent backup. Your PE50 is seriously out of date now, and very limiting. Not one of Panasonic's finer moments connectivity wise.

6. amoros

amoros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for your help!

I will try to follow your advice!

:)

7. MikeMan

MikeMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think it's entirely incorect to slate the Samsung as max has done ... if you search avforums for the model you posted you will see many threads regarding this particular set and that many regard it as equal to or even better than the panasonic.

The model you bought from pansonic is indeed inferior, whereas as the model you probably should have gone for is the TH42PX60 - which has 2 HDMI ports and is exactly the great panasonic you were probably hoping for.

However, I've seen both the Panasonic TH42PX60 and the Samsung PS42C7HDX together and like many others on theis forum I think there is nothing between them when it comes down to picture quality. They're both simply very good pictures ...

What you will find is that the Samsung is cheaper, and although it only has one HDMI port it's very good value for money (currently £849 from dixons but probably even cheaper elsewhere) and IMO looks much better (glossy black) than the Panasonic(silver).

If you look on AV forums for more info about both these great plasma's I think you'll find there really isn'y much between em ... most people prefer the pansonic simply because it's been a stronger brand for a lot longer, and that doesn't make the the samsung a bad telly though.

Whichever one you go for, I'd still try get either with a 5 year gaurantee though !!!!

8. amoros

amoros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for ur help mikeman.

i guess i have learnt my lesson... next time do my homework a hell of lot better...

I a considering getting the TH42" PX60 Pana. I will prob go and buy it 2mrw.

A few more questions and i will stop bugging you lads... i think... :p

I have found the PX60 in the following two shops:

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=319627&tab=specification

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~PAN-TH42PX60B.htm

Main difference I have noticed is that the one from empire is model "TH42PX60B" whereas the one from Comet is "TH42PX60". The lack of the "B" at the end of the model name actually makes a difference in the features they each have?

I have noticed a few differences in the above two models. First off I have noticed that the one from "Empire" has a 10000:1 contrast ratio compared to the one from Comet which has 4000:1.

Also the one from Empiredirect says in the specification it has a "PC input", whereas the one from Comet says "No RGB PC in". To be honest good quality PC connectivity is what I am interested in the most. What type of connection should I want to the back of my plasma? Should it be just like the one I have on my computer monitor?

Are all the above differences due to the Extra letter "B" in the model name? Is the "*****B" model, a newer model???

p.s. i may not buy from any of those two suppliers, for the moment i am trying to decide exactly what will meet my needs then i will see where i can find it cheapest.

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    B doesn't mean anything don't worry. I think ED used B to mean panel only?

The PX60 has VGA which you can use to connect from your PC. If you want to go digital, you can use DVI -> HDMI from your PC if your PC Gfx card has DVI.

10. MikeMan

MikeMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    The B makes no difference. Just a "fuller" product name.

never trust specs from anyone, they often clash.

Will be very interesting to hear if the purple snakes get cured by the "engineer in Tokyo's new components"