1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with my new system

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Truffles, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it's time to bite the bullet and make the most of all that untapped knowledge out there! I've wanted a home cinema for ages and now I have the time the space the wherewithall but very little know how.

Any stores I have tried the salesperson either talks down to you or seems to know even less than I do. Richer Sounds seems to be a favourite source for lots of you but I've found it's hardly the environment for asking novice type questions. Anyway I have more or less decided on two components, a Panasonic TH-42PW5 plasma screen and Sky+. Now the questions are:

Will I still need a tuner to watch TV. (I would be happy watching BBC and ITV via satelite)
    If a tuner is not neccessary will I need an amplifier ? would I still have the facility to use a VCR / DVD recorder.

I have seen RGB converters mentioned, What do they do?
    Is there anything essential I have missed out ?
    Thanks for tolerating these basic questions but any help or advice would be very gratefully received.

Truffs.:suicide:

2. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a coincidence, you're in exactly the same position I was in a month ago!

Everything's complicated by the fact that most current plasma's are "display's" rather than "tv's", so unless you buy the plasma screen with a tuner box ( for receiving analogue TV, also replaces the plasmas usual connections with Scart sockets ) then connecting to it can be complicated. Most people recommend not buying the tuner box, and connecting your stuff either directly or using converter boxes. The best connection method seems to be component video, most mid and high-end DVD players output this, and the Panny has a set of component sockets. Other connections on the Panny are S-Video, composite & VGA. Composite is rubbish so ignore it, but S-Video & VGA are good, and you can get RGB Scart to VGA or S-Video converter boxes which will produce a very good picture ( dependant on source quality of course! ).

Sound-wise, if you want 5.1 surround-sound then get a decent AV Amplifier ( I bought the Yamaha RX-V630RDS for £320 ), and a set of 5.1 speakers ( I bought the Mission fs AV2 for £350 ). You can then connect all your sources, Sky+, DVD etc, into the amp, and it will handle all the decoding and amplification duties.

Cheers, Steve.

3. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SKY box will feed the TV signals to the plasma screen so there should be no need for a tuner. A amplifier will be needed if you are wanting Dolby Digital or DTS sound to feed the extra surround speakers.

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Something to consider with regards to a tuner and Sky... This may or may not be an issue to you, but ITV1 on Sky although regional it is "limited" in that you may not get your region.

I live in east anglia and on Sky you get Cambridge Anglia TV - even if you live in Norwich. Although you can use your VCR to get local TV still, if you want to use something better than composite, a (certainly most, if not all) Freeview box will give you a RGB output and will give you the correct local broadcasts.

I think there may be a similar issue with the news on BBC1, but I don't watch it so can't comment. I think that on Sky you get London news at 6pm?

Rob.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    If you are looking for an RGB>VGA converter for your digibox to plasma I have one for sale over in the classifieds ...

rgds

Jon