Help With My New BK Monolith, Should i use Spikes or not & what about granite bases ?

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all got a BK monolith with spikes attached to replace my 10 year old rel strata III and was woundering if you could help.

My floor is wooden which is held up using joists and then theres a underlay and carpet on top, I have my sub fitted with the spikes but have been toled that i should never use spikes with this type of floor and just to use the rubber feet that is already on the sub is this true ?

what would happen if used the spikes on this type of floor over not using them.

is there anyway of improving the sound from the sub to get the best from it i have been toled that i can use the spikes but then would need to use a granite base that i would sit the sub with spikes attached to it.

so what would be better

1 spikes attached on wood carpet floor
2 without spikes using the rubber feet on wood carpet floor
3 spikes attached with a granite slab on a wood carpet floor

which would get the best sound for this sub and if i dont go the granite root should i take the spikes off the sub ??

thanks for any help

Would love to know peoples opinions of this too. I've a floor of the same type (bedroom - so second floor if that makes any difference) and I'm using spike on both my Subwoofer and my floorstanding front speakers.

I'd always thought that the spikes were there to give your speakers a solid footing by piercing the carpet and therefore standing on the floorboards. Is that now no longer considered correct?

Yeah thats an intresting question, I don't have the answer sorry! But would like to know to.

Someone told me to put the new sub (EPOS) on the spikes to stop the ear splitting boom it was producing at times, which worked quite well (now it just rattles the windows and pictures instead!). But, I got little discs with the unit that stops the spikes piercing the carpet so I don't think the spikes are there for that reason?

I also have the spikes for my floorstanders, but they are just rested on the carpet, the spikes are upstairs unused?

I had my BK XLs200 on its spikes! my floor is concrete with a thick underlay & carpet sounded fine at 1st then after a while got some strange resonating from the cabinet....

It was really bugging me it turns out the weight of the thing had made the spikes go right down to the concrete & when being driven at a good volume it was dancing on the spikes:mad:

Removed them & now its solid as a rock with no more resonance:clap:

Yeah thats an intresting question, I don't have the answer sorry! But would like to know to.

Someone told me to put the new sub (EPOS) on the spikes to stop the ear splitting boom it was producing at times, which worked quite well (now it just rattles the windows and pictures instead!). But, I got little discs with the unit that stops the spikes piercing the carpet so I don't think the spikes are there for that reason?

I also have the spikes for my floorstanders, but they are just rested on the carpet, the spikes are upstairs unused?

I think you need to sort out your sub. You really shouldn't have to:

put the new sub (EPOS) on the spikes to stop the ear splitting boom it was producing at times, which worked quite well (now it just rattles the windows and pictures instead!).

That is not what a sub should be doing.

so can anyone help on this subject ?

ok going to buy a granite plinth today i was woundering do i use the spikes still on the sub to place on the slab or do i take them off ? also do i need any rubber feet on the bottom of the granite slab ?

thanks for any help

so no one can help me on here about this subject at all ?

i am suprised

There is no one answer as it's very much room dependent. Try it with the spikes first, then a paving slab with spikes, then the rubber feet and then with rubber feet and slab. If either of the paving slab options sound best, then go and buy some granite.

If you have the rubber feet on, first test it with the feet, then the spikes.

HTH

Dave

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom