1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with my installation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dood, May 13, 2005.

1. dood

Aug 4, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am building a dedicated home cinema (actually more of a TV lounge) by bricking in my open garage. We don't have custom installers in my country so I will have to do it myself, so I hope some of you out there will be willing to give me a few tips along the way.

The biggest issue for my wife is neatness and invisibility of cables. I've decided to have a groove in the floor running all the way around the room where the floor meets the walls. I am currently trying to formulate a customised L-shaped skirting board that would cover the groove and cables within, but be re-movable or hinged in a way that allows me to easily access or re-route cables. One question here: is it a problem to have mains and speaker and AV cables running side by side in this channel or should they be separated by a minimum distance or wooden panel?

The room is 5.7 x 6.4 metres so I'm concerned about echoes. I am considering wooden wall panels from the floor skirting up to about ear height. I could go for a tongue-in-groove finish or textured square panels to break up the smoothness of the panels. Above the panels will be plastered wall. Wall paper is not easily available here. The floor will be carpeted. The ceiling will be flat but spire-shaped in the middle of the room, following the triangular roof trusses. Any ideas? I already have a wooden rack for the equipment and matching CD/DVD shelves which will go against a wall. There are 6 windows in the room so there should be a fair amount of curtaining.

I have channeled the walls and inserted conduits to accommodate a 6.1 or 7.1 system even though my current setup is 5.1. I have also made provision for AV and mains cables to the front wall for a possible future plasma screen. In the event that I get a ceiling mounted projector some time down the line (wishful thinking!) cabling through the ceiling should not be a problem. I also will have access from the grooved floor channel to the roof so I could route speaker cables to other room in the house.

What else do I need to consider and are there any ideas you have. The builders are at work so I can make some changes if necessary.

Oh and I will install a heating and cooling air con, essential here! Hope it doesn't make too much noise.