Help with my home cinema setup / AV Receiver

wozwebs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have the following setup and would like advice on getting the best out of it. Main components are my Sony 77" A80J OLED which I love for picture. For sound I use a Denon AVR-X2300W and I was previously connecting this to the TV via Optical but was advised to use HDMI / ARC instead (Receiver doesn't do EARC). For speakers I have an old KEF 5000.1 5.1 setup which still sound superb to my ears so I only have 5.1.

I then purchased the Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Blu-Ray to use for my new 4K discs and older Blu-Ray's. I connected this to the receiver and then used the receiver's HDMI out into HDMI 3 on the TV using ARC. Picture all fine but the audio sync is way out. I have to amend the Audio Delay either on the player per disc or on the receiver but it goes from 0 to 500ms so really hard to pinpoint what the exact number should be. I get it bang on for one disc but then when I switch Dolby Vision on the player (have to do it manually on this model) it out even more. If I plug it into the TV direct I am getting no issues with lip sync so don't think it's the player, more the receiver?

Currently, on the TV, I have Sky Q going into HDMI 1, Fire TV Max going into HDMI 2, the Denon out going into HDMI 3 and then Apple TV (new version) going into HDMI 4. Dolby Vision can only be used on 3 and 4.

I could move the Blu-Ray player directly into 3 and use optical out from the TV to the receiver but would I only get Dolby Digital then and not Dolby Digital Plus? I know I only have 5.1 but I have noticed a big difference in the quality of DD+ compared to DD. The Denon had a firmware update so it can play Dolby Atmos but as I only have 5.1 am I right on thinking that any Dolby Atmos settings on all devices should be switched off in favour of just Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus or am I fine to keep Atmos selected, knowing that the receiver will change it to the best container it can within that setting?

Sorry for all the questions but spent a fair few hours wasted on trial and error. Any help most welcome. Here is my setup:
my-AV-Setup.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom