Help with my home cinema and new surround speakers

katsounami

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am starting my own home cinema and I need some help with few stuff. I'm uploading a few pics from my room, to see if you guys can help me.

I brought from my father's house 2 JBL E80 tower speakers and one EC25 central speaker, and one Yamaha YST-SW030 subwoofer. Last week I bought a Denon AVR-X1600H, and proceeded to put it all together, I have been reading about and messing with the settings and bass management, but the sound isn't to my liking yet, especially the bass.

Right now, I have the crossover for all speakers (which are set as small) set at 80Hz.
My room is about 7m long for 4.5m wide, and I have the sofa about 3m away from the TV

Here are my questions:

1 - Do you think the front speakers placement is ok? Or should it they be more close to the TV? And should they really be tilted towards the center? They are bi-amped, could that be the thing that's causing me to have so much trouble to configure bass management settings?

2 - I have been previously told that the subwoofer is mediocre. Should my priority be to buy a new, better one, or should I get some surround speakers first? I'm not really interested in 7.1 or even atmos, for now. Also, is it ok that I'm using the cable that I'm using? I brought it from my parents house and it didn't have a cable. I didn't find a single RCA cable, so I'm using that one. Or should it be coaxial? I think I tried a coaxial cable, but it didn't work.

3 - What should be the correct placement of the subwoofer? I'm not talking about it's place in the room, but should it be like that? or should it be tilted? It has an opening in the right side, I don't know if that should be against a wall, or left open. The sub manual shows the subwoofer posicioned in a "diamond" shape instead of square, but I don't know if, how or where to put it like that. I just don't feel that "booming" effect I wanted to feel when listening to music. (I haven't tryied it in a movie yet)

4 - Which surround speakers and which subwoofer should I take a look at? I don't want to spend lots of money, and I live in an appartment so there's no point in super-powerfull and expensive speakers anyway. I do like a powerfull subwoofer that shakes the room both in music and movies.

5 - I am thinking about puting the surround speakers beside the sofa, in two stands. Should I consider putting them more up front of the sofa? Or mount them in the wall, above ear level? Should I consider bipoles/dipoles? It is a large room and I'm not planning on putting rear speakers, for now.

6 -Since I only have 3.1 channels yet, what sound option should I chose in the receiver for now? Should I just go with stereo, or do I have any advantage by choosing any of those Dolby or DTS options??

7 - About individual crossovers... all the videos I watched on bass management are really old and I'm assuming new recievers handle these stuff better now. Should I go for individual crossover points? For what I understood,

I bolded questions number 4 and 5, because that's the ones I need more help with it. I have been reading and looking it up, but I just don't know where to get started choosing something.

Hope you can help me, best regards to all.

Attachments

• 20201101_171509.jpg
    20201101_171509.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20201101_171524.jpg
    20201101_171524.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 20201028_215443.jpg
    20201028_215443.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20201028_215523.jpg
    20201028_215523.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 20201029_142033.jpg
    20201029_142033.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 20201029_141823.jpg
    20201029_141823.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 20201029_141933.jpg
    20201029_141933.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20201029_141958.jpg
    20201029_141958.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 185
Have you run Audussey setup with the cardboard microphone stand built and the mic on top of it pointing ceiling? You should do at least 3mic positions as the on-screen setup tolds you with 100% silent room.

Bi-amping with such low cost receiver is useless. Change to normal mode.

The main speakers are good amount apart, but they are too close to your front wall. Hopefully you can push them forward 20-30cm. Of course then there is risk with the right side speaker getting hit by person walking to room, so i think you need to pull them little bit closer and forward then! You should also bring the center channel at the front edge or slightly over the front edge of av-unit.

The subwoofer is in ok spot furthest from the opening, getting the most of it with the added boundary gain you get from corner. Sadly the Yamaha is so tiny and cheap product for that largish room that it´s going to struggle to fill it and the quality of bass is likely one note. Basic coaxial subwoofer cable with shielding costs few bucks in your local market that sells all kind of cheap crap, go buy one tomorrow for the length that is needed for that position. It will be then used with new woofer also.

When you play bluray movie you get the dts-hd ma/dolby true hd, if you streaming Netflix etc then dolby digital plus. If you still in dvd time then dts / dolby digital which are not as high quality. Stereo mode only for listening music. Put some movies on after running setup (change from bi-amp mode to normal) to see how it sounds.

After you have run the Audussey setup, crossovers 80hz for front three JBL, lpf for lfe 120hz and lfe sub mode ok. Try the Audussey dynamic eq, especially if you listen lower volume. I think it will be enabled after you run Audussey setup and gives you bit more fullness.

As for the future purchases it´s tough to know what you got there available in Portugal. I would look around for similar range JBL speakers for example as used if there is any. Some decent bookshelf speakers with 4-5" mid-bass drivers will do and with pair of stands with the speakers on the side walls not in front rather slightly behind the listener. You don´t want them to be too near either, so hopefully you sit at the right side on the small couch opposite tv. If they go against walls then perhaps front ported ones would be more ideal.

For subwoofer there is no cheap routes unfortunately. You have to take risk with 2nd hand product which likely won´t have amp warranty or then save up for some better one. You would be looking 500-600€ product for new one (finance might be available), but there might be some cheaper products for around 350€ closer to Black Friday who knows. Sadly you won´t get as good product with that price and the amp quality is usually on the lower side, so need to make sure the warranty is long enough. If in doubt SVS is always good choice available all over world. You get what you pay for! PB1000 would be cheapest, but perhaps there comes PB12-NSD available soon which would be more ideal for your room!

PS. Here is example for a cheap sub cable. I assume you have something like this in local market that sells cheap electronic stuff.
Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8GYG

Agree with all that's written above, especially the ditching of bi-amping. What you are really doing is passive bi-amping which takes all it's power from a single PSU and just robbing power from all channels. You not gain any audio improvement whatsoever with such an arrangement.

It's important that you run Audyssey and set all speakers to small and with a crossover of 80hz when using a sub.

The centre speaker should be brought forward so that the front is sitting proud of the edge by around 25mm. This will stop unwanted reflections from the top of the cabinet. Another observation is the tiled floor. This will again cause unwanted reflections try throwing down a bedding quilt in front of the speakers and you will discover an instant improvement in the audio. A rug is called for.

I'd also try moving the sub around the room in a few locations and see if you notice a difference. It can make a massive difference and make even the best subs sounds weak.

I'd also try moving the sub around the room in a few locations and see if you notice a difference. It can make a massive difference and make even the best subs sounds weak.

I checked with Room Simulation and the front corner was decent apart from some suckout around 60hz. For a little sub in large room the corner placement is ideal as you get boundary gain = free output, so at least maximizing the performance of it if looking most grunt for movies. Better to start saving up for real subwoofer though. :)

Sorry didn't realise you'd checked REW.

Hi, thanks a lot for all the replies.

First of all, yeah I forgot to say but I did ran Audyssey setup multiple times as I tried the subwoofer and the L and R speakers in different positions. Also the Audyssey MultEQ XT is actually on already. But what setting should I put? I choose the first one, I think it's "reference".

Could you elaborate on that ditching the Bi-amp suggestion? I'm new to all of this, so I'm trying to learn too, instead of just relying on advice. I followed the instructions provided in the manual and connected it to the rear surround connectors. If the avr supports it, why isn't it worth it?

About the dolby and dts stuff, what I meant was... should I worry about that? As I only have 3 spears for now, do I lose some sounds because of that? Is there one generic option that I could possibly choose for most of the stuff instead of always changing stuff? I don't know what most of that stuff means anyway. I could use the "auto" option, but I want my sub playing even i'm just playing some music on spotify.

And about the right front speaker... Won't it affect the sound if they are at uneven distances from the center? Even if I tune it with Audyssey again? I don't mind putting it closer to the TV at all, because it doesn't look very good like that, but I didn't want to ruin the sound.

As for the surround speakers, after I made the original post, I found out two potential candidates that I would put in the wall: The HTD Level TWO surround speakers and the Intimus 4BP bipole surround speakers, I sent two emails and I already know that the first ones won't be shipped to Portugal (in the HTD store, at least), so that's not an option anymore. If i end up buying two bookshelf speakers I will just buy two front ported ones and put one on my right between the sideways couch and the glass showcase, and the other opposite it, maybe push the main couch to the front just a little bit. I do sit on the right side of it.
Do you think I should just go for the front-ported bookshelf speakers? I was checking bi-poles/di-poles because I read yesterday that the surrounds should actually be put higher than ear level, and If I put them in the walls bi-poles could fill the room better, without obstruction I think.

The subwoofer: I have accepted already that I will have to spend some decent money on one. I just haven't started looking into models... I will take those SVS into consideration. Why is the PB12-NSD better for my room? What do I need to look for on the specs, when looking for subwoofers?
Are their surround speakers also good? Maybe I could try to get a good deal if I bought more stuff from them.

About the tiled floor, it's not shown in the pic but there's actually a small rug under the small table in front of the couch, just a little wider than it. maybe I can change it for a larger one? It's important that it covers the floor all around, or just in front of the speakers?

I forgot to ask something: wireless speakers/subwoofer...

1 - Can I add wireless surround speakers or a wireless subwoofer to my current system, or they really need to be wired? Not that it matters much, just want to know about all the options available.

2 - I'm planning on buying speakers for a Zone2, to use with the avr. Can I just buy any wireless speakers, or should I be carefull about something? I can add only two wireless speakers to it, right?
I want to put extra speakers so I can play music on the kitchen or in the room/rooms They don't need to be light and super-portable, as I'm not planning to move them around. I already looked into the JBL charge 4, but they seem to be a little expensive and they are portable, I want something to plug into the wall... Or should I try to buy some stuff that works independently, like amazon alexa or echo or whatever? I really don't care about portability and if they look good or not, I just want them to have a nice sound.

I am trying to take the bi-amp off tonight.

Thanks again for everyone that replied to this!

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on that ditching the Bi-amp suggestion? I'm new to all of this, so I'm trying to learn too, instead of just relying on advice. I followed the instructions provided in the manual and connected it to the rear surround connectors. If the avr supports it, why isn't it worth it?
The receiver is designed to drive seven speakers as a maximum, so it has seven onboard processors and amp. They are however connected to a single PSU and draw their power from that source. Don't be fooled by the published figures for the Denon that quote 145 watts, that just for a single channel being driven at 1kH on a 6 ohms loading so once all seven speakers are connected you are not going to get anywhere near a figure of 145 watts, more likely 60 watts per channel if you're lucky.

When you passive bi-amp you are still drawing power from that single PSU, therefore diluting the power available to the remaining speakers. You are quite literally robbing Peter to pay Paul. Then there is the overall quality of the receiver itself, considered to be an entry level receiver it very unlikely that you would hear any audio improvement at all.

To really get the benefit of bi-amping your really do need two separate amps running together, one to drive the HF and the other the LF. The idea is to give both frequencies the same power unlike passive bi-amping which is giving them less power overeall. Then you have to consider the speakers if they will really benefit from bi-amping and there's a price to pay for those that do.

Quoting bi-amping powers Denon is really just using it as an advertising ploy. Most people would employ a separate power amp to drive the front speakers but this itself is not possible with the 1600 because of the lack of pre-outs.

Thanks, I think I understand it now.

What about the other doubts I had, can you help me?

My father says he has some old rogers speakers being fixed that I can have, so I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore, just the sub-woofer and the wireless speakers.

Hi, thanks a lot for all the replies.

First of all, yeah I forgot to say but I did ran Audyssey setup multiple times as I tried the subwoofer and the L and R speakers in different positions. Also the Audyssey MultEQ XT is actually on already. But what setting should I put? I choose the first one, I think it's "reference".

About the dolby and dts stuff, what I meant was... should I worry about that? As I only have 3 spears for now, do I lose some sounds because of that? Is there one generic option that I could possibly choose for most of the stuff instead of always changing stuff? I don't know what most of that stuff means anyway. I could use the "auto" option, but I want my sub playing even i'm just playing some music on spotify.

And about the right front speaker... Won't it affect the sound if they are at uneven distances from the center? Even if I tune it with Audyssey again? I don't mind putting it closer to the TV at all, because it doesn't look very good like that, but I didn't want to ruin the sound.

As for the surround speakers, after I made the original post, I found out two potential candidates that I would put in the wall: The HTD Level TWO surround speakers and the Intimus 4BP bipole surround speakers, I sent two emails and I already know that the first ones won't be shipped to Portugal (in the HTD store, at least), so that's not an option anymore. If i end up buying two bookshelf speakers I will just buy two front ported ones and put one on my right between the sideways couch and the glass showcase, and the other opposite it, maybe push the main couch to the front just a little bit. I do sit on the right side of it.
Do you think I should just go for the front-ported bookshelf speakers? I was checking bi-poles/di-poles because I read yesterday that the surrounds should actually be put higher than ear level, and If I put them in the walls bi-poles could fill the room better, without obstruction I think.

The subwoofer: I have accepted already that I will have to spend some decent money on one. I just haven't started looking into models... I will take those SVS into consideration. Why is the PB12-NSD better for my room? What do I need to look for on the specs, when looking for subwoofers?
Are their surround speakers also good? Maybe I could try to get a good deal if I bought more stuff from them.

About the tiled floor, it's not shown in the pic but there's actually a small rug under the small table in front of the couch, just a little wider than it. maybe I can change it for a larger one? It's important that it covers the floor all around, or just in front of the speakers?

I forgot to ask something: wireless speakers/subwoofer...

1 - Can I add wireless surround speakers or a wireless subwoofer to my current system, or they really need to be wired? Not that it matters much, just want to know about all the options available.

2 - I'm planning on buying speakers for a Zone2, to use with the avr. Can I just buy any wireless speakers, or should I be carefull about something? I can add only two wireless speakers to it, right?
I want to put extra speakers so I can play music on the kitchen or in the room/rooms They don't need to be light and super-portable, as I'm not planning to move them around. I already looked into the JBL charge 4, but they seem to be a little expensive and they are portable, I want something to plug into the wall... Or should I try to buy some stuff that works independently, like amazon alexa or echo or whatever? I really don't care about portability and if they look good or not, I just want them to have a nice sound.

I am trying to take the bi-amp off tonight.

Thanks again for everyone that replied to this!

Reference or Flat, listen both with movies and see which you like better as there is some difference.

Choose the Auto, it should automatically put the Dolby Digital / DTS then with correct material. For movies you want to use those modes, for music listening 2ch stereo mode.

I meant you will move both main speakers closer each other, same distance from center channel and little bit forward so that there is some space at least 20cm behind.

You are getting some speakers from dad so just get some speaker stands 600-800mm height wise and start with them! It´s more important to saving up for the sub to get something lot better.

The PB12-NSD is larger more capable ported woofer and to fill that kind of space you don´t want small one if you want to get cinematic experience. I`m not sure do they get them for Black Friday / Christmas in Portugal as that model is often sold that time for good price. It sits between PB1000 and PB2000. You might have to get one with finance then if only limited time deal like it often is.

For subwoofer SVS sells wireless module, but i don´t see why you would do that cause the sub is close to receiver. It´s not worth all the hassle!

With X1600H you can use HEOS wireless speakers in other rooms. Scroll down when you see Heos mentioned on the link. So you need to buy Heos speakers!

Thanks a lot for the help!
Do I really have to buy heos speakers? The guy that sold me the used AVR also had HEOS speakers for sale, but I thought they were a bit pricey (he was asking for 350€ the pair - about 300-350 USD) and I saw online that for their price they should have better sound.

Hi guys!

I finally managed to get a PB12-NSD for my setup. I also got help from some SVS guy online setting the ideal crossover settings for my speakers. I put it in the place of that small table in the pic, left of the TV.

All that's left for now is some decent surround speakers.

I don't think I will buy surround back, because of the big window and the door in the back of the room, I think I would have trouble placing them. Considering that:

- I was thinking about getting some dipole surround speakers and mount them on the wall, would that be a good choice?
- Should I mount them at hear level, or higher? And at the sides, or slightly on the back?
- Will the glass showcase on the left of the photo be a problem? I already pushed it farther to the back of the room, next to the door.

I am currently using some old SONY SS-L90V I brought for my parents house as surround, but I think they might be pretty mediocre, right? I saw some at sale on the web for 30$ or something like that...

Would the mission audio bronze FX be a good choice? I could also get a pair of Aperion Intimus 4BP Bipole speakers for about $390 (shipping included).

I also liked the SVS Prime Elevation, but I ever buy those I would use them as Atmos speakers.

Hi guys!

I finally managed to get a PB12-NSD for my setup. I also got help from some SVS guy online setting the ideal crossover settings for my speakers. I put it in the place of that small table in the pic, left of the TV.

All that's left for now is some decent surround speakers.

I don't think I will buy surround back, because of the big window and the door in the back of the room, I think I would have trouble placing them. Considering that:

- I was thinking about getting some dipole surround speakers and mount them on the wall, would that be a good choice?
- Should I mount them at hear level, or higher? And at the sides, or slightly on the back?
- Will the glass showcase on the left of the photo be a problem? I already pushed it farther to the back of the room, next to the door.

I am currently using some old SONY SS-L90V I brought for my parents house as surround, but I think they might be pretty mediocre, right? I saw some at sale on the web for 30$ or something like that...

Would the mission audio bronze FX be a good choice? I could also get a pair of Aperion Intimus 4BP Bipole speakers for about $390 (shipping included).

I also liked the SVS Prime Elevation, but I ever buy those I would use them as Atmos speakers.

Great, hope you got some new cable too.

Dipoles might not be ideal if you go with Atmos later, bipoles should be ok. Bronze FX has switch at the back for both modes. And also if you put the surrounds higher now then you have to lower them to seated ear height for Atmos. So it depends are you going to stick with 5.1 or.. The manual of Bronze FX example says to mount them 2feet higher from ears (5.1/7.1). You also have some glass cabinet on your right hand side when sitting. The tweeters are firing front and back so not sure how it`s going to work..
Maybe normal wall mounted speakers at the sides of listeners.

sz6.gif

Yeah, I got the cable you recommended, at amazon!

Regarding the glass cabinet: don't bipoles (or dipoles) have the speakers at like a 90º angle or something? They don't look like they are at 180º, firing the sound along the walls, but towards the center of the room at different directions? Anyway, I already pushed it farther away from the sofa.

For now I won't be buying anything more. My father is waiting for some tower speakers to be fixed, and then he wilI borrow me some small, old bookshelf rogers or proac speakers he has at his home. He has a pair of each, they look very similar on the outside.

I forgot to ask something: would I gain anything by connecting the old yamaha as a 2nd subwoofer?
And would it be a crazy idea to put the center speaker on that shelf above the TV? (I'm thinking of buying a bigger TV too later, but the height of the center speaker is a problem)

I'm attaching new pics of how things are for now (the Yamaha Subwoofer is not connected).

Attachments

• 20201118_142106.jpg
    20201118_142106.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 20201118_142112.jpg
    20201118_142112.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20201118_142136.jpg
    20201118_142136.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 124
Yeah start with the speakers you get free and when funds allow next year look something better.

No don`t use the Yamaha sub cause it won´t be able to keep up with SVS. Did you found the position the sub is now better than the front left corner? You would have gotten bit of extra output due to boundary gain, but which ever spot sounds better (run Audussey again if you move it)!

I wouldn´t move the center channel, it`s in good spot now! Just do some DIY raiser for the new tv (something under the feets or wall mount it). As for the tv save up so you can get the largest you can afford! 75" would be bare minium for me, but preferably + 80" as the prices has come down good amount already. Then again 4k projector would be most ideal with the screen dropping in front of tv from ceiling, so you could still use both.

Post pictures of the Audussey settings you have. There might be few things to change or not. The ones i want to see are posted here in this post #64:

I didn't try to find it's best position, because the usar manual said to just put it in the same wall as the speakers. I can try to put it in the corner tho, and move the speakers closer to the TV.

The TV is on the central speaker for now, it was the best way I found for now to place both the TV, speaker and the Denon AV Receiver all there. I might mount a new one on the wall when I get it, but it cannot be much bigger than this because of the two stands on the wall above it. This one is 47'', I was hoping a 55'' will still fit. I also don't think I will be ever be able to afford more than 1000€ in a new tv, at least not soon anyway.

My father is much more an audiophile than I am (I am hearing impaired and my aids aren't at their best right now, so I'm at a disadvantage now) and he came to my appartment this week to check the subwoofer and the sound system in general and said that the sound is far from good, and that I made a bad investment in both the Denon AV Receiver (He's old school and not a fan of denon) and the PB12-NSD, but I trust you that I made a good buy with the subwoofer, maybe I just I need to change some things in the house. Or maybe the denon is really weak. I'm attaching the files of the seetings screens you requested. The SVS expert told me to set the crossovers like that (the surround one, he told me to set them to 100-120Hz, i just went for the higher)

Should I turn the surround speakers towards the TV, as seen in that guys pics, instead of being pointed at each other like they are now?

Attachments

• 20201122_073614.jpg
    20201122_073614.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20201122_073710.jpg
    20201122_073710.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20201122_073806.jpg
    20201122_073806.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20201122_073846.jpg
    20201122_073846.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20201122_073931.jpg
    20201122_073931.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 93
  • 20201122_074022.jpg
    20201122_074022.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201122_073955.jpg
    20201122_073955.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201122_074153.jpg
    20201122_074153.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 89
You are running 5.1 system but why you have surround backs selected in amp assing mode? Also crossovers there you have 80hz for surround backs as it should say None/Off. Go to that menu where you can choose what speakers you are using currently and select surround l/r only (5.1) and make sure you have connected those Sony surround speakers to surround l/r behind the Denon, NOT to surround back terminals!!! Keep the surround speakers aimed to listeners if they are directly at the sides (not in front of listeners), you can move them slightly behind listener in angle. Let your ears be judge. But you need to run Audussey again when you do changes moving speakers/sub.

Turn Audussey Dynamic Volume Off for the day time listening. It compresses dynamics. It´s more ideal for tv programs with loud commercials or late night. Also Audussey Dynamic EQ might make the sound bass heavier, but the effect lessens the louder you play. It´s personal choice will you have it on or off. I would turn both off for day time when you can listen louder. You might need to tweak the subwoofer from denon menu to give greater feel.

The Sp.Virtualizer enhances the surround and height speaker channels to create an enveloping virtual surround effect. I`m not familiar with this feature which you have turned on. If it adds something then keep it.

You have selected the "Reference" under the MultEQ XT. If you change this to "Flat" the sound should change little bit. Which ever you prefer is up to you and you should test same movie chapter to find out the difference. Always do one change at time and listen. The "Flat" may sound little bit brighter as the Reference does high frequency roll off which the Flat won´t do.

Post picture of speaker and subwoofer levels! Also speaker & subwoofer distances (don`t change these)!

Your dad might be audiophile, but he might not have the knowledge for hometheater gear. The receiver is of course cheap, but when setup correctly it shouldn´t sound bad. You should have said to him, i could have bought X brand if you would have given me 500-1000k extra money. ;)

SVS is going to sound bit stronger in the corner if you move it there. You have to go by ear which position sounds better, picture won´t tell you that. Furthe tweaking might be needed, but before running Audussey again i want to see the levels and distances menus pictures of those!

In that case you need to save up and look for some crazy tv deals or consider using finance if you have regular job. 55" tv is really small and better for bedroom. See below the recommendations.

To see the extra detail of 4K, you can sit closer — 1 to 1-1/2 times the screen size.

TV Screen sizeViewing distance range for 4K
40"3.3-5 feet
43"3.6-5.4 feet
50"4.2-6.3 feet
55"4.6-6.9 feet
60"5-7.5 feet
65"5.4-8.1 feet
70"5.8-8.75 feet
75"6.3-9.4 feet
80"6.7-10 feet
85"7.1-10.6 feet

I think "amp assign" is to select how the avr handles speakers connected to surround back outputs. I didn't know what else to select. The other options are: "zone 2", "Bi-Amp", "Front B", "Front Height", "Top Front", "Top Middle", "Front Dolby", "Surround Dolby". I checked the avr manual for this. Also all the speakers are connected in the right spot, don't worry.

When placing this subwoofer in the corner, should I point it to the back wall, the right wall, or diagonally, facing the sofa? I might eventually try it in the back wall corner, instead of the side wall...

In the crossover, it isn't seen clearly in the pic, but the surround back setting is dimmed, as well as the "all" option... it is not assigning any crossover setting for the surround back.

I just turned off both Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

I ran audissey again because I changed the subwoofer, here are the distances and levels in the pics that I attached... As u can see in the first pic, the "surround back" option is set to none.

I will worry about the TV when I get the sound right XD And I don't think I could get a good 75'' TV for less than 1000€

EDIT: What does the ECO setting does? I suppose having it on will hinder the sound, somehow...

Attachments

• 20201122_185427.jpg
    20201122_185427.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20201122_185447.jpg
    20201122_185447.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20201122_185500.jpg
    20201122_185500.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20201122_191058.jpg
    20201122_191058.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Leave the ECO off! And impedance switch to 8ohm.

All looks fine if you have bumped the crossovers again after Audussey run. I think the main speakers could be set to 80hz aswell, but your ears will be judge.

Subwoofer is just the way i meant, no need to be turning it and i wouldn`t put it at rear as you have only one, it`s more than likely going to locate then which you don`t want. I assume you have the phase knob to 0 and frequency knob turned to highest hz. The volume/gain knob is correct seeing the SW level. Now if you want more grunt/rumble/impact go to Denon menu and drop that SW level -8db figure to -5db. If it´s still not enough drop it to -2db. Find the sweet spot for you, but don´t touch the knobs anymore. Do the changes from receiver menu! Some movies are more anemic and others will pound very hard! Hope you have some good bluray flicks like Mad Max Fury Road or something from this list:

Only setting i would try at some point would be the Reference to Flat. That should give you audible difference. Also you can try turning the Mult EQ XT to Off from the same menu where is those two. So you have basically three options, see which sounds best in your room. The Bypass L/R is ideal for 2ch music listening, it keeps some eq for the sub but not for speakers. You can read more here below link, but don´t get too hung up what is said. What matters is how it sounds for you so test/compare them at some point with time!

Last edited:
I will try it tomorrow, as it's already late here. I made all the changes u suggested.

I have interstellar and dark knight blu-ray, I will try with interstellar probably. I'm curious with the black hole scene, as suggested. But that leads me to another question: are the playstation 4, spotify (either on the PS4 or HEOS) and Netflix and HBO (Both on the PS4 too) good for watching movies and listening to music? I don't buy blurays anymore, as I can watch lots of stuff on netflix and HBO...
Sometimes I wonder if It's because of the PS4 that the sound isn't coming as good as it could...

I will try it tomorrow, as it's already late here. I made all the changes u suggested.

I have interstellar and dark knight blu-ray, I will try with interstellar probably. I'm curious with the black hole scene, as suggested. But that leads me to another question: are the playstation 4, spotify (either on the PS4 or HEOS) and Netflix and HBO (Both on the PS4 too) good for watching movies and listening to music? I don't buy blurays anymore, as I can watch lots of stuff on netflix and HBO...
Sometimes I wonder if It's because of the PS4 that the sound isn't coming as good as it could...
No rush as i said when you have time then do comparisons.

When you play bluray movie with PS4 your Denon receiver should say in front display Dolby True HD / DTS HD MA depending which track is has. Taken from another thread:

"For the best audio quality you want to select Uncompressed PCM in the PS4 settings as this is lossless however for Blu-Rays and DVD there are completely separate audio settings only made available once playback has started, it is here that you can tell the PS4 to do no decoding and output TrueHD and DTS-HD. "

You should be able to hear the difference to streaming quality (Netflix / HBO) which has Dolby Digital Plus, should say in front display. Blurays always better quality with lossless soundtracks so i think it´s still worth to buy the best flicks...from sale!

I tried the Interstellar Blu-ray, the black hole scene, and holy sh*t i was absolutely blown away. I'm proud of that subwoofer. I want to try it with other movies.

I was just reading about room acoustics and stuff and I think I really should put some paintings on my wall. Also the glass cabinet and the big mirror are contributing to the sound not being as good as it can be, as well as the small rug beneath the small center table between the center speaker and the sofa. I will try to improve that.

Would the SVS prime elevation for less than 390€ be a good addition to my system? I was thinking of buying those to use as front height speakers and they are on sale now...

Well the price sounds good and the feedback is strong on those so i don´t see why not if you crave them. High up on side wall just below ceiling is SVS recommendation, although many has them on front & rear wall too. Adding 2nd pair in future is easy (1st slightly forward of listener and 2nd slightly behind) if you end up upgrading the receiver (Denon X3600H/X3700H example) and wanting 5.1.4. You can see the placement below, the higher ones:

prime_elevation_ill_side-ht-4.jpg

elevation_direct_radiatingc_e4de6c2b-370f-4ace-8c80-3037133332da.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I just want to know if it's a good deal or if I can get better ones for this price.

My X1600H only has one more pair of speaker inputs available, and I don't think back surround is very feasible in my room because of the big glass window in the back wall, as well as the back door right next to it, so I think 5.1.2 is the way to go for me... I thought they were supposed to be placed as front speakers tho. Will ATMOS movies "detect" how the height speakers are placed? I know the receiver does that, but will it impact how the movie sounds? For example is the movie "coded" to sound as if it's coming from the front or ceiling or whatever?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom