Help with my home cinema and new surround speakers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I just got some new JBL Northridge E20 surround speakers for €75 on ebay, to replace those sony surrounds. What should be their crossover?

I have been thinking a lot about that, what would I need to have in consideration for that? I have read yesterday about this ViewSonic PX701-4K that seem to be reasonably priced, is it worth it? I don't want to spend more on it that I would spend on an good 75'' OLED TV, especially considering I still have to buy a screen (and probably some other stuff for mounting them).

Nice! Run Audussey and bump them up to 80hz if you got lower one.

Not familiar with the ViewSonic, but yeah projector will give different experience with big screen. But depends will you watch lot of tv programs.. You could always have it in front of tv to drop down (screen), but would it block center channel then..

You could probably get decent 82" tv too.. I regretted putting so much money in to flagship tv. Few years and it`s worthless. 75" is still nothing compared to what 106-120" screen gives you, but your call.

I don't watch a lot of TV, I usually just turn on TV channels to watch football. I usually watch movies, netflix or gaming.

My country is about to start a new global confinement, so I will have plenty of time for this stuff... I will start by measuring the width from one front speaker to the other to check how big a projector screen I can get there.

You're saying that a flagship isn't worth it? but you would still recomend an oled, right?
Anyway, a 82'' TV would be super-expensive, I guess..

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I don't watch a lot of TV, I usually just turn on TV channels to watch football. I usually watch movies, netflix or gaming.

My country is about to start a new global confinement, so I will have plenty of time for this stuff... I will start by measuring the width from one front speaker to the other to check how big a projector screen I can get there.

You're saying that a flagship isn't worth it? but you would still recomend an oled, right?
Anyway, a 82'' TV would be super-expensive, I guess..

Each person has own opinions about those.. I paid lot more for my tv and the technology goes so fast one that it`s just better to keep it as long as it lasts. Feels like same as buying new car, soon the value drops like rock... Projectors won`t c ost nearly as much, of course depending which class you looking but there should be decent ones without breaking bank. AVF has projector section, as does AVSForum (under 3k$) which are popular and there is few good sites which review the machines constantly so better to check those. 75" vs. 110" or something similar, there is no contest with movies. :) As i mentioned you can install the screen slightly in front of the screen so you can still use your old tv for some programs if needed, tab tensioned projector screen is needed, don`t buy the cheapest as they go bad ( wavy, won´t stay straight) soon. Of course fixed screen looks more like paint on wall and gives nicer look/feel, but they are not nice to build up. Not hard though, just need lot of floor space.

Measure also the height cause you don´t want the center channel to be placed too low. Acoustically transparent screen is option, but not cheap likely. Then you can keep speaker behind it.

Tab tensioned manual screen, some come down via remote.
ManualTension_AngleES.jpg

Grand View fixed screen
grandview-3.jpg

I have been making a more serious research on projectors the last few hours, and I found two good deals, i think. I am considering buying one of them, but I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on these:

BenQ W1110 (AKA HT2050A in the USA)
OPTOMA HD28HDR

1- I can get both for less than 500€ each. The first is open box on an online store that offers 24month guarantee, the other is used, on auction, idk how old it is. The second one also has HDR... is it worth opting for that one without the guarantee?
I have seen both reviewed and suggested on another site (cnet). It says there that in projectores the difference in picture quality isn't worth the price gap for a 4K projector, is that true? Especially considering I can get a projector for less than 500€? I haven't even seen the full article yet and the other suggested projectors, but these two are really super cheap and seem to be both great deals.

2- I have measured the distance from both my front speakers and it's about 240cm - about 94,4 inches). I think I can mount a 100'', 16:9 screen, if I get the calculations right... especially if I mount it in the ceiling. My stand + central speaker make 72cm height (about 28'') from the floor, which leave about 165-170cm (66'') left to the ceiling. The previous posts talks about not buying a cheap one, but how much should be considered cheap? Or how much should I be looking to spend on a decent screen?

3- I suppose Ideally I should be mounting the projector on the ceiling, right? i think it's drywall, so should I take in consideration the weight of the projector I buy? What about cabling?? Do I need to buy an extra-long hdmi cable?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have been making a more serious research on projectors the last few hours, and I found two good deals, i think. I am considering buying one of them, but I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on these:

BenQ W1110 (AKA HT2050A in the USA)
OPTOMA HD28HDR

1- I can get both for less than 500€ each. The first is open box on an online store that offers 24month guarantee, the other is used, on auction, idk how old it is. The second one also has HDR... is it worth opting for that one without the guarantee?
I have seen both reviewed and suggested on another site (cnet). It says there that in projectores the difference in picture quality isn't worth the price gap for a 4K projector, is that true? Especially considering I can get a projector for less than 500€? I haven't even seen the full article yet and the other suggested projectors, but these two are really super cheap and seem to be both great deals.

2- I have measured the distance from both my front speakers and it's about 240cm - about 94,4 inches). I think I can mount a 100'', 16:9 screen, if I get the calculations right... especially if I mount it in the ceiling. My stand + central speaker make 72cm height (about 28'') from the floor, which leave about 165-170cm (66'') left to the ceiling. The previous posts talks about not buying a cheap one, but how much should be considered cheap? Or how much should I be looking to spend on a decent screen?

3- I suppose Ideally I should be mounting the projector on the ceiling, right? i think it's drywall, so should I take in consideration the weight of the projector I buy? What about cabling?? Do I need to buy an extra-long hdmi cable?

Hey buddy copy paste this to in this section after making new thread there.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom