1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with my full System please!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Colin_S, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Colin_S

Colin_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first post. I know this is a lot of questions so any help you can provide would be very much appreciated!!! There is not really a section I can put this in, is it ok in here, or should I ask each question in it’s relevant section?

Ok I’m going for a full system revamp (well except the Xbox) and need a fair load of help. I currently have a Pioneer DV-717, a VSX-709RDS, Xbox, a 28" Toshiba TV, and Sky.

I have a bit of a Pioneer fetish and love black and gold units so things have to be Pioneer and black and gold.

I'm looking for a THX certified 7 channel amp as cheap as possible that has component video connections. So was thinking about a VSX-1014-K as it is the only black unit from Pioneer that meets my needs. I'm quite happy with this unit but if anyone can recommend any alternative black Pioneer units that I could maybe pick up new or second hand from an older season and does anyone have one for sale?

Also need a DVD player to match which has component outputs, was thinking about a Pioneer DV-575A-K as it's the highest spec black DVD player offered today and is DVD-A and SACD compatible but I feel it is a little low spec for me. What’s your opinion on this unit and can you recommend any alternative black Pioneer players that I could maybe pick up new or second hand from an older season and does anyone have one for sale?

I want to upgrade to sky+ and want to wire this through the best quality connection as possible so was thinking about component connections but I’m not sure how to get this to work. Can I get a black Sky+ box?

Also what’s the best way to connect my Xbox up, it's run on a s-vhs cable at the mo, is that the best?

Now the big decision, I’m going for a 43" Pioneer Plasma Screen and not sure which one. I don't want any speakers or a TV tuner as I just want to use the sky box. I intend to use the amp to switch between the source units and for sound. Also from time to time I’ll want to hook up my computer, it has an s-vhs out so can use that or a VGA connection. I like the shiny black look of the Pioneer home screens like the PDP-435XDE or PDP-435FDE but a PDP-43MXE1 with a video card probably fits my needs more but is not shiny black. So what would you recommend for me?

Also can I use an HDMI connection anywhere?

Many Thanks

Colin

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the pio 435 models love the matching Pio HDMI DVD players so there is one option, get a demo just cause the 435XDE has a tuner doesnt mean you need to use it.....it would be the simplest option (if a black bezel is what you desire, most cn be sprayed gloss black or have a surround fitted to make it gloss black.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The MXE-1 currently does not have HDMI, though it looks like it will do soon via a 3rd party card. The only black HDMI DVD players are not made by Pioneer, and the media box for the XDE is not black, nor can a sky+ box be black. Funnily enough, started the car this morning and the Rolling stones were on Virgin radio.... Perhaps you'll have to overcome your Pioneer fetish. The MXE-1 is not very black either! Sort of muddy charcoal. The XDE looks very cool, I'm certain people get so hung up on it's devastating looks that they convince themselves the scart picture is good. That amp is pretty good, you'll be wanting some nice gloss black speakers too I guess. Do they have to be THX certified?
    In short, Horny's advice is good, the low hassle way is to get the XDE, get a Denon DVD player in black, try and hide the sky box and media box for the plasma, and be happy with the result. If you have the time, or the money for someone else's time, you could take another route.

4. Colin_S

Colin_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I’ve had a look at the Denons and am thinking about a DVD2910B, which would allow me to link up the HDMI. Opinions?

Also how does S-VHS compare to VGA when hooking up a computer, as that is really the deciding factor between the XDE and FDE.

On the MXE, what needs to be done to make the frame shiny black (not painting), is the part easily obtainable? What I might do is go for the MXE and either continue to use my DV-717 or buy a DV-575A-K for the time being and wait for the 3rd party card and Pioneer to stop this silver trend p!sh and bring out a black HDMI DVD player. Has the MXE got less of the important features the FDE and XDE has or is it just the tuners and connections it is lacking?

As for speakers, no I don’t need new ones I’m going to use the ones I currently have, I may be looking at upgrading my center speaker later as I’m not 100% happy with it but that’s not for the moment. And you may find it weird but I don’t have black speakers, they are a nice light cherry wood.

I’m going to hide the media box, and if sky+ has to be silver I’ll hide it too, I’ll get one of those wee things that you can run to another room to control sky and just use that to pick up the remote signal. (it’s black)

What’s the other route I could take? I may have the time if it is worth it.

Cheers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VGA is the way to go for a PC. S-video is soft and poor quality.....