Help with my first Hifi system

Scott F

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months ago I decided I wanted to buy myself my first Hifi system. Without much knowledge I popped into Richer Sounds and tried out the Q3500, Bronze Audio 5 and 6 with CXA60. Which all sounded amazing to me. But that's coming from someone who have never owned a good sound system before.

The more I look through forums, the further I get to making a decision on what to purchase. Hence why I've come to Avforums for some advice.

A bit of information below.

Speakers & Amp
Budget £1,000 - £1,200

Music taste - I mainly listen to electric music. But I also listen to a lot of indie bands, films scored ect.

The speakers will be placed in a L-shaped living room, which I know isn't ideal. The living room is pretty big, though, 18 x 18. At the moment I have my sound system in one of the corners of the room, which is next to the window.

I own no cds, all of my music is either on my phone or on my computer. Recently I've been updating all my mp3 files to flac, for when I get my system. I require 2 x optical ports, to connect my PC and PS4. Bluetooth or USB support is also required.

With my musical taste, took size, and budget what would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Corner Placement is far from Ideal, and I suspect is going to limit your speaker options.

Next, Bookshelf or Floorstanding? Bookshelf can sound pretty good, but obviously the bass doesn't go quite as deep as some floorstanding speakers.

If all your music is digital, then consider the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC (2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, 2xUSB-Media), Network Streaming (Airplay, DLNA), Bluetooth, Phono-In, Sub-Out, .... - £380 (£450 retail) -

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

R-N602 - Overview

This has appeal mostly because of the built in Streaming, which can be considerable more expensive if bought separately.

Here is a thread discussing the Yamaha RN602 -

NEW: Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver!!!

That would leave you roughly £600/pr to £800/pr for speakers, which should provide some options.

Two of the best deals in speaker right now are -

Wharfedale Diamond 240 (2x6.5") Floorstanding - £499/pr (£700/pr retail) -

Wharfedale Diamond 240 Floor Standing Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Kef Q700 (2x6.5") Floorstanding - £499/pr (£999/pr retail) -

KEF Q700 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Either of these take your budget to about £900 but you are getting substantial discounts on the speakers. If we go by retail prices, we are look at a system between £1200 and £1500.

There are several places selling this equipment for this price, though for now, only Superfi has that price on the Warfedale.

If you would prefer to add Streaming capability separately, that is going to cost between £300 and £500.

In Integrated Amps with DAC, consider either of these -

Yamaha AS501 Integrated, 85w/ch, Phono-In, Sub-Out, DAC (1xOptical, 1xCoaxial) - £299 -

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Yamaha AS701 Integrated, 100w/ch, Phono-In, Sub-Out, DAC (1xOptical, 1xCoaxial) - £499 -

Yamaha AS701 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Available at these prices from several sources.

That is, more or less, for perspective, there are many other amps and speakers to consider. But to make more precise recommendations, we need a bit more information.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom