Question Help with my first full setup - turntable, speakers, amp

Char1920

Novice Member
Really appreciate some thoughts on the two below packages I have put together through a couple of UK based retailers.

This would be my first real hifi/soundsystem and I have been looking to put something together on a budget that will stand the test of time and hold its own from sound and usability perspectives. Another key consideration due to the size of my house has been trying to scale down on equipment dimensions (within reason, and has been the central influence on amplifier choice).

Due to covid, its been quite difficult to do anything like test or compare so hoping to get some none-salesperson advice.

Thanks in advance!

Package 1
  • Turntable: Pro-ject DC Evo
  • Speakers: Dali Oberon 1
  • Amplifier: Cyrus One

Package 2
  • Turntable: Pro-ject DC Evo
  • Speakers: KEF LS50
  • Amplifier: NAD D 3045

Further comments:
  • Package 2 is c£150 more than P1 and both are at the very top of my budget
  • The retailer of P2 was disparaging about the Cyrus amp but conversation was very sales focused to try and win me over
  • The retailer of P1 gave me a good talk through on the Dali's versus the KEFq350 (another I was interested in). He said the Dali's were probably more palatable and interesting than the KEF's for a variety of reasons. That said, salesman 2 was very in favour of KEF Ls50's saying they really are the best in the current price range

gibbsy

Cyrus with the LS50s. LS50s need a good power supply to get the best out of them and the Cyrus can deliver that power. Salesmen will say what they need to to get a sale. The Dalis will be more forward in the treble than the KEF Q350s but the Q350s will dig deep in the bass department and have a wider dispersion whereas the Dali will be more focused. You really should audition.

The LS50s will leave both trailing in it's wake given the right amplification.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Cyrus with the LS50s. LS50s need a good power supply to get the best out of them and the Cyrus can deliver that power. Salesmen will say what they need to to get a sale. The Dalis will be more forward in the treble than the KEF Q350s but the Q350s will dig deep in the bass department and have a wider dispersion whereas the Dali will be more focused. You really should audition.

The LS50s will leave both trailing in it's wake given the right amplification.

Indeed

If you can stretch to the LS50s and the Cyrus that would be the best way to go.

I’d be very reluctant to pair the 50s with the Nad. It is not a powerhouse, to put it mildly. And the Cyrus simply is.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If that’s too expensive, I’d still go for the Cyrus and LS50s and buy a Rega Planar 1 instead.

The Rega is a first class starter TT and can easily be upgraded with better cartridges. It’s much easier to upgrade a TT than to find you’ve bought average speakers or an amp that can’t properly drive good ones.

Char1920

Novice Member
Thanks both, I will explore getting the LS50s and the Cyrus as it sounds that either package could do with some tweaks!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thanks both, I will explore getting the LS50s and the Cyrus as it sounds that either package could do with some tweaks!

It’s always important to note that getting speakers up to your best possible budget spec is the best way to begin, as they have by far the most impact on what you’ll hear in your room.

Naturally those speakers will need an amp that can get the best from them too.

Hence why I suggested the less expensive TT to begin with.

A TT can be upgraded in stages, but with amps and speakers, it is all in replacement of the whole thing.

dogfonos

...hoping to get some none-salesperson advice...

Good move. With all due respect to deepsleepUK, this is what can happen when dealer-led without the balance of alternative opinions:

(read post#6 and weep)

By all means listen them, but don't rely exclusively on a dealers advice.

If you had heard some of the gear listed in post#1, and really liked it, I wouldn't suggest other options, but seeing as you haven't... I can't resist throwing a curved ball.

Another key consideration due to the size of my house has been trying to scale down on equipment dimensions

How about a three-box solution then?

A TT with in-built phono preamp:
Pro-ject Debut Carbon RecordMaster HiRes (£650)
or
Rega Planar 1 Plus (£330)
or possibly add the Rega Phono MM to the Pro-Ject DC Evo (£650 total). I know it's a fourth box but it's tiny.
with
Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers (£590)

I don't know the size of your room or your musical preferences but if you listen to anything bassy or like to 'rock-out' (I'm showing my age), the Edifiers are the go-to speaker, especially if your room is over 15 sqm (but can you forgive the 'distinctive' appearance?). If lightweight music is more your thing, and the room size is around 15 sqm or less, it's difficult to argue against the KEF LS50.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom