Help With My Digital Data

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by asimm, Feb 6, 2009.

1. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    This is what I am looking to do:

I want my MacBook Pro and iMac to be able to access the 50G+ in music and 10G+ in pictures plus a quickly expanding list of iMovie projects but don't want these on the hard drives of the respective machines.

I have a Time Capsule and a 160G HD from my old MacBook as storage options. I am don't really want to go the Time Capsule route but if I buy a HD caddy (I think that is what it is called?) and put all the data on it will the pictures and music be displayed just as if the data was on the machines? For example will the play count still work on iTunes, will events in iPhoto still work?

Just to push my luck - does anyone know how I would once this is set up, set up the machines so that all new photos, music, movies etc were saved on the external HD?

Thanks

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Will either of the machines be on 24/7 (eg the imac)? If so, put the music on there, and share the itunes library so you can access it on the macbook pro.

You can put the music on a USB hard drive attached to the time capsule and access it wirelessly. Then you add those files to each computers itunes so each machine keeps its own playcounts etc, just the media is on the USB hard drive. (make sure you don't have 'copy files to the itunes library' checked in preferences so its only referring to the original files)

I have had problems with this, as it can take some time to access the drive if you're syncing an ipod - sometimes can show up as ! meaning it can't find the content. But it should be ok.

For photos I don't know if you can do that - not with iphoto at least. You can reference the original files I think, but I've never tried it.

imovie projects I'd be tempted to keep on a dedicated hard drive when you're working on them, and then perhaps backup to the drive attached to the time capsule.

Personally for only 50GB of data I'd put it on both machines, then you have redundancy for backup purposes. You can use something like chronosync to keep both libraries as a mirror of each other. If space is an issue you can upgrade the HDDs in each computer? Considering the size of HDDs these days, and your media is probably the largest thing you have of value, do you really not have 60GB of space to give to them on each computer?

3. James.1

James.1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Stick it all on the iMac (or a disk connected to it) and then share it to the MacBook. Depending on how much free space there is on your iMac, you could have it all on the iMac's internal disk and then do an auto backup to an external one.

4. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for the tips and apologies for the delay in taking up the advice. I have shared iTunes from the iMac to the MBP but it doesn't show up on the MBP as I would like, you can't change the view.
    On iPhoto I suspected that even if the photos were elsewhere that they would not display as events on any networked machine.
    As for why I don't just keep them on the machines, I suppose I am having a hard time losing my windows phobia where I would have to change a machine every other year as the hard drive clogged up and slowed the machine down enough to make it almost unusable. The iMac is beginning to slow a little and I wondered if it was the amount of hard drive being used (around 100G of 320), but if you are saying that this should be fine then I will keep things as they are and look at what other reasons there might be.

5. James.1

James.1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    What you have done with iTunes is enabled its sharing feature. This doesn't allow you to do many of the things you normally would be able to do, like change the view, add new media. Any media you add on the MacBook Pro will only be available on that machine and not on the iMac.

What you should do is enable File Sharing on the iMac, then on the MacBook Pro you connect to the iMac and mount your Home folder. Next launch iTunes on the MacBook Pro while holding down the Option Key and select your iTunes folder that is available through the share. Just don't have iTunes open at the same time on both computers.

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,225
    I use MyTuneSync to sync my library between multiple machines...Great features are that you can select which meta data to sync...For example I don't want my wife and daughter changing the rating for my songs and vice versa...High recommend this piece of software....

Regarding iMovie....Definitely use an external attached drive, not something you can do across a network...