1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HElp with my Arcam setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by grainge, May 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. grainge

grainge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my current set up

Arcam AVR200
    Arcam DV88

I do have speakers running off this but they are not worth listing as they dont match and are mainly borrowed from my Denon HiFi.

Could anyone please give me a few ideas on what speaker mixture i should look for to compliment the sound and movie experience on this setup. Price is an option but i would always hang on 6 months and save to get a pair that would be perfect rather than a pair i would have to change or would not bring out the best on the Arcams i have.

many thanks in advance.

Nick

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For stereo, get yourself a pair of ATC SCM-7s and you'll never look back. For surround, get yourself five 7s and a Concept 1 sub (or maybe a Velo CHT), and you'll be absolutely blown away.

Cheers,

Dunc

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Forgot to mention - the SCM-7s are £480/pair, and the C1 sub is £600, so that would be £3000 for the lot.

Dunc

4. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've got the same electronics as you and after auditioning the B&W 600, KEF Q and Monitor Audio Silver ranges I ended up with the MA's.

You really have to go and have a listen as a friend who went with me preferred the B&W's.

I've also since discovered that I couldn't get away with not buying a subwoofer as I originally thought so ended up buying a REL Q150 as well.

The whole lot came to £1500 (Silver 6 (£600), Silver SFX (£400), Silver Centre (£250), 2nd hand Q150 (£250) and although I'm really happy with the sound, if I was able to change anything I'd probably have gone for the standmount S2's instead of the 6's as the original idea was that the 6's would mean that I would not need a sub.

Perhaps if you give us an idea of your budget and whether you'd prefer a sub/sat package or conventional speakers, you'd get more suggestions from others.

Cheers,

Noodle.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well Noodle demo'd the B&W 600, KEF Q, and Monitor Audio Siver series speakers which is what you should do to ... maybe along with Mission M5 series and something higher end like the B&W CDM series (at least for the front if music is important) a long with anything else you can get to listen to in your price range.

I would concentrate on the front 3, then a sub, then the rear 2 if you have speakers that work already.

All the speakers have slightly different characteristics so its a case of what you prefer and what matches your amp.

Vikki

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    grainge,

If you're a newbie you may not be aware that the advice received from Noodle and sounddog is sound.

As has been written many times the sound produced by speakers is very subjective therefore one mans meat is another man's poison and there are many different options and viable possibilities at each price point.

You have bought yourself a good amp and dvd player which should be partnered with good speakers to bring out the best in the combo.

PS I like the M&K sound

7. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd agree with noodle. I've had an Arcam AVR 100 and DV 88, running Monitor Audio Silver 8is (fronts) 3i (rears) and 10i (centre) The silver 8's sound awsome in stereo and with movies are a blast.

I guess the new Silver 6's are the nearest to the old 8's now, or you may be able to pick up some silver 8s secondhand for about £300 - 400 In fact I think HiFi bitz have some new for near this price as well as most of the MA range.