Help with my 7.2.4 build

downtoozz

Novice Member
Reaction score
What I’m sure most experts hate to see - I am a total novice with all of this. When I started building this system just over a year ago we were only going to buy a sound bar and some rear speakers and it just snowballed from there. We had a 15-20 year old Bose system before that that we were replacing.

As I replaced the center channel last week, I impulsively purchased the Klipsch 502M’s. I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed by it because they do sound good, just by the fact that it may have been an ultimately waste of a purchase.

My original plan was to have the 504C, 6 8000F’s, and 4 RP 600M’s. My first question is, what are some thoughts on using the 502’s as one of the Atmos sets? Perhaps even buying another pair for the second Atmos set?

Any other ideas or suggestions? I’m in a pretty good position. We’re buying some property in the next year or so and going to build house. We’re not having kids and I’ve gotten beyond lucky with my wife. She’ll pretty much let me do just about anything I want with this as long as it looks clean fairly clean. I think she’ll be fine with speakers on the wall or ceiling as long as I have the wire pre-ran. We’re not going to have a basement so that’s not an option. I think the plan is to have the TV mounted on the wall because she’s not a huge fan of the projector, but then have an electric screen that will come down when I/we want to use it. This setup will be used 90% of the time for movies.

My Setup
Optima UHD60 projector
Integra DRX-R1.1 receiver
Klipsch RP-504C Center
Klipsch R-120SW subs x2
Klipsch RP-8000F for fronts
Klipsch RP-502S rear surround
Pioneer SP-SF52 surrounds (was also previously being used in front and surround as well)
Pioneer SP-T22A all four Atmos

My original plan was to have the 504C, 6 8000F’s, and 4 RP 600M’s. My first question is, what are some thoughts on using the 502’s as one of the Atmos sets? Perhaps even buying another pair for the second Atmos set?

For Atmos you want "normal" speakers rather than dipoles, so personally I wouldn't go with the 602s for overhead use.

Are you going to ceiling mount the Atmos speakers?
The Pioneer SP-T22A s are designed to sit on top of your floorstanders and bounce the sound off the ceiling, so again, don't use them if you plan on having them overhead.

Also, do you have a plan of the room? Even a sketch showing what you intend to do would help people advise you.

For Atmos you want "normal" speakers rather than dipoles, so personally I wouldn't go with the 602s for overhead use.

Are you going to ceiling mount the Atmos speakers?
The Pioneer SP-T22A s are designed to sit on top of your floorstanders and bounce the sound off the ceiling, so again, don't use them if you plan on having them overhead.

Also, do you have a plan of the room? Even a sketch showing what you intend to do would help people advise you.

Yeah, I head read about not using dipoles but had also read that the 502's were called WDST instead of dipoles and just couldn't find anything saying yes or no as a good idea for them. I was assuming not which is fine. I'd probably consider just going to the RP-600m or I've also been looking at possibly the 5800C, though I've never done any in wall or ceiling speakers before.

The Pioneers will definitely not be being used for the final setup. Those were just purchased as fillers until I was able to decide what my final setup would be as I didn't want to rush into that.

I don't have a sketch yet. This was going to be in the living room but could possibly just decide to add on another room for it. Preliminary stages so we're working on a lot of decisions with it. Our current idea has the living room with only 1 wall being an outside wall and the other walls up against 3 other rooms with a total size of around 23x20, if that helps. It may be a tad bigger after all is said and done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom