1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with multi-room setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rik1471, Oct 19, 2005.

1. rik1471

rik1471
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    hmm....the s-video cable will handle the signal, altho the quality may suffer a smidge, i was using a long s-video cable temporarily between my Sky+ and PJ while i waited for the custom length component i had on order, that was about 15ft i think, so 20ft should be ok.....

the speakers isnt so easy...heh....

ok, first option, if what i see is right, the 1906 has 5.1 channel pre-outs.......so you buy 3 pairs of very long twin rca phono leads (as in normal left/right hifi leads, just very long..lol).......then run those in to either
    a) a 5 channel power amp which in turn has 5 speakers (either bookshelf or satellites) plugged up to it, with the 6th channel going straight in to an active sub...or have a 6 channel power amp with that feeding a passive sub. (not so cheap)
    b) a computer speaker setup that has 5.1 channel inputs (like the external inputs on the back of your 1906), this way you get sub and amp in one box with 5 cubes) (cheaper)

another option which im not sure is possible, but worth looking in to, is if the optical and/or coaxial inputs on your amp can send their signal undecoded straight to the optical output on your amp (so still DD or DTS 5.1 signal) then run a single optical cable to the bedroom, i have only just started using optical myself so i dunno if its limited to length of cable or not.....this then plugs in to a suitable computer speaker setup with DD/DTS decoding, with a sub that has inbuilt amp to power satellites....(cheap option)

another option.....run digital coax cable from DVD player directly to bedroom and stereo RCA from sky box direct to bedroom....then again plug in to a computer speaker setup that can decode DD/DTS from coax and upmix stereo from sky to ProLogic of some sort.....(fairly cheap option, u lose DD on sky, but be honest, how much DD material do you get on sky?...lol)

OK, those are the cheap options....lol....expensive options would be similar stuff but use more expensive means.....ie buy another 1906 receiver for upstairs to act for the moment as a power amp and a natty little Monitor Audio Radius 45 cube setup with sub.....heh, just use the preouts from the one downstairs to the external inputs on the one upstairs, but this way if you ever wanna get a separate DVD player for upstairs or use a console up there, you can just plug it in and be good to go......

ok, hope these make sense to you....lol.....
    if not tell me what you wernt sure about and i'l try and explain it again, sometimes my wording gets a little excitable and doesnt read right to anyone but me ;-)

3. rik1471

rik1471
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you fo the advice :) - much appreciated.

:smashin: