Help with multi-channel outputs!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kch1888, Dec 19, 2004.

1. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a pioneer dv575 dvd player connected to a pioneer vsxd814 amp. The dvd player is connected to the amp via both optical and 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs. Obviously the 5.1 inputs are required for SACD but are also capable of handling DTS and DD on dvd-video. However, when i let the dvd player decode a DTS or DD disc and send it to the amp via the 5.1 inputs, i notice a severe reduction in bass when comparing this to the playback from the digital input with my amp doing the decoding! Its almost as if my sub is switched off!
    Is this lack of bass a known problem with 5.1 inputs?? - i only ask because its annoying having to change between signals on the amp each time i play a different type of disc!

Thanks for any insight...

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    I don't know the available menu options of the 575, but on most DVD players with the analogue outputs you have the option to set the levels for each of the 5.1 channels. This is done in the same way as you would have set the levels on the AV receiver. The levels need to be controlled by the DVD as the receiver does no processing/bass management on the 5.1 analogue inputs. All the receiver does is control the master volume.

Mark.

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Yeah unfortunately you cannot change speaker levels on the pioneer for the 5.1 anlg outputs. My old Sony had a test tone feature in which you could manually adjust each speaker level if required. Strange as I would have thought all digital decders provide this feature.

Remember to adjust the proper speaker sizes in the menu (and also the speaker distances) as this may be why you have much less bass than compared to the digital out via the av amplifier. You should set the fronts to large if the speaker cone is greater than 12cm, and also set the centre and rears to large or small as apprpriate.

4. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you're right, there are no level settings for the dvd player. All you can do is set speaker size (which ive done) and tell the dvd player whether the sub is on or off. It lets you set up distance as well, which ive also done but messing around with these settings makes no apparent difference to bass level. Looking this issue up on a few websites seems to suggest that the lack of bass management means that the sub doesn't get the same amount of low frequencies (or lfe) from the dvd as it does with the amp - this is the problem, just wondered if there was someway around it but obviously not :(

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    yeah its a shame as apart from that its top notch. I have to readjust my sub each time i switch between watching DVDs (as with you i find the sub is a bit low for DVDs and have to increase my REL Quake by a few notches) and watching freeview via pro-logic or if i listen to CDs via the Pioneer.

6. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your insight dean...its a bit of a shame that it appears to be one of those things, but sometimes its just good to know that you're not the only one with the problem!!!

Thanks again.

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    Try setting the speakers to large, with sub on, and see if that makes a difference. I read somewhere that the crossover frequency of the 575 was a high 100Hz (I couldn't find any reference to the crossover in the manual). When I set the speakers to small I noticed a large drop in bass when using the multichannel outputs for DVD/A and SACD, presumably because the speakers were not getting anything below 100Hz, although as they are M and K's they go down to 80Hz. Setting to large magically restored the bass as the speakers are now seeing what was between 80 and 100Hz.
    I know the manual mentions 12cm drivers etc, but I would ignore this - all that specifying small or large does is switch the crossover on or off.
    Phil

8. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a device available in N. America called an Outlaw (company name) ICBM which solves the bass management issues you mention. It was designed for your situation. I don't think they export to the UK, but you might find some used ones on various websites.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/icbm_about.html

This is a link to the manufacturer's site. It contains detailed info on how it works.

Alternatively, if you happen to be receiver shopping (otherwise this is an expensive solution to your problem) you could look at either some Harman Kardon or Onkyo/Integra receivers, as several models have bass management and speaker delay settings available at the multichannel analogue inputs (I have an Integra and use it for my universal hi-res player). Higher up the price scale are receivers and players with iLink (Firewire) connectors that do everything in the digital domain--mine and the HKs redigitize the incoming analogue signal (something that works well for me, but purists shy away from such extra A/D/A).

A low-tech, partially useful solution would be to turn up your sub's gain when listening to m/c music, but that can get old quickly. For the best, reasonably priced solution, I'd consider an ICBM.

Good luck.

9. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How times change. ICBM means something entirely different to me.

PS
    Interesting product though.