1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with MPEG2 splitting

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by higenbs1, Jul 4, 2005.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Recently purchased a Nebula Freeview card and recorded at little known concert at the weekend. Due to some strange scheduling, I've ended up with three MPEG2 files (2 x 5GB and 1 x 11Gb) which I want to split up, and burn across 5 DVD's, preferrably with menus, chaper selection. I own Nero and Cyberlink Power Producer 5, but I can't seem to find a way of splitting up the MPEG2 files, without re-encoding as part of the process. I also need to merge two performances.

Is anyone aware of any software that can do this successfully. All the programs I've tried seem to fall over due to the large file size (Blaze Media Pro amongst others), and as I said Power Producer takes the split MPEG2 file, and then attempts to re-encode to a DVD file for burning

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    ProjectX can demultiplex and cut large files - I've pushed 11gb ones through it without problems. Compiled download in the Download/Digital TV section of Doom9, the home of all video editing knowledge ;)

I demultiplex and cut with ProjectX, or ProjectX+MPEG2Schnitt, remultiplex with mplex (available in GFD for Windows) or your authoring software may be able to deal with it directly. DVDAuthor is happy to just take suitable demultiplexed streams without recoding them, commercial software seems to always try and recode, DvB streams are (mostly) suitable after running though ProjectX.

3. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Paul

Thanks for the reply - will investigate tonight.

Sorry for being a complete amateur, but what is de-multiplexing? Do I have to do this before cutting an Mpeg2 file in half?

Sam

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Demultiplexing: separate the audio & video content into different files. Multiplexing puts them back together.

ProjectX can cut and demultiplex in one go, though it will only cut on GOPS (groups of about 12 frames). To join parts just drop them all into the file window. Tip: learn the keys and combinations of cursor+ctrl,alt,shift move different distances in the file.

Its often easier to demultiplex the entire stream and cut in MPEG2Snicht because ProjectX is very sluggish.

5. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right. That kind of makes more sense of something I was reading last night. Is demultiplexing required before an MPEP2 can be cut, then? If I use project X, will this demultiplex, cut and multiplex all at once?

Thanks for your assistance :thumbsup:

6. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    No, but I know of no free tools that can do it. Commercial tools like Videoredo should be able to.
    No. I don't think the other conversion options support cutting even - they definitely won't fix problems in the streams, the output won't be compatible with DVD. Give the mpeg2 output a try but I doubt it will be usable.