1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with mobo/chip upgrade to AMD 64bit

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Embarker, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cos I order a PCI-e graphics card instead of a AGP (it is sli so may get another one)- to late to return it now, i'm gonna take the plunge with a mobo/chip upgrade.

Who has had experience of these?

Assume for the mobo that the Nforce 4 is the board of choice.

As for the chip doubt I need anything too fast, but need to get a decent cooler on it, any recomendations there?

Cheers

Dangerous Dave

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,483
    Go for an Athlon 64 3200 Winchester (that's the 90nm one). It runs cool and requires about 20W less power than a Newcastle (130nm) one. As for the motherboard, what's the budget? The Asus A8V seems good, or an MSI K8N Neo4 perhaps? As far as a cooler goes it depends if you want it to be quiet or not really. The standard cooler you get with the A64 is good enough at the expense of a little more noise, the benefit of using that is that you don't invalidate the 3yr warranty you get with the CPU. If you want a quiet cooler than something like a zalman 7000cu is very good, the only thing with that is installation can be quite awkward as I've just found out! Basically you have to replace the backplate on the motherboard with the Zalman provided one, on the Asus A8V motherboard the backplate is glued on, hence I had to get a hairdryer to it to heat the adhesive up so I could get the backplate off! It wasn't pleasant doing that I have to admit and the fact the motherboard is working is more luck than anything else I think! I had a Gigabyte K8NF-9 motherboard and removing the backplate on that was easy as there wasn't any adhesive, don't know about any other motherboards but it's worth bearing in mind if you want to use a silent CPU cooler like the Zalman 7000cu.

Cheers
    Andy

3. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    so very straight forward then - not

I was looking at the Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi and had the zalman in mind - does this still mean gettin the hairdryer out?

Is there a nforce 4 board out there that is any cop that is easier to get the zalman on?

Rgds

Dangerous Dave