Help with mixing wireless with wired network

jlcrawford

Established Member
Reaction score
I have my network up and running wirelessly using a USR8022 wireless router.It has two LAN ports on the back so I tried to change my laptop from wireless to wired thus testing whether I can get a couple of PCs linking overa 100M part of the network hence streaming ripped dvds.
When I connect the laptop the light on the router shows the connection and windows XP home reorts a 100Meg Lan connection but I cant access the other network Pcs nor get internet access.
When I check the LAN IP address (assigned by the router DHCP) it does not tie in with the others on the network

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Sounds like dhcp has given out a duff ip address. The easiest way to get over it is to change ip manually to one that matches the rest. So if the range is 192.168.0.1 make it 192,168.0.4 then make the gateway the ip of the router and the 1st dns the same ip of the router.

This happens with dhcp sometimes when the router is not switched on but the machine trys to connnect to the internet.

I run a mix of fixed ip's and dhcp on my lan.

THanks John
I tried doing just that but didnt know what to put in for DNS.
I have another PC running XP Pro so I will try that and also a reset on the Router.
But you are saying that I should be able to get this to work without changing the router setup or having major problems ?

Just to clarify Jeff, is your router the modem as well? If so then the paramters I suggested are correct, it wont matter if the ip is router assigned or static and you can mix both on the same network (in fact even on the same machine, my laptop uses a fixed ip on the wired connector and dhcp for the wireless one).

Where is the bridge you are talking about? If its the laptop I think you should probley reinstall it (dont have one on mine).

The bridge could just be like a subsection of networking for your laptop, my mate has a latop with wired and wirefree connectors onboard and that has a bridge.

If you change the ip address maually (ignoring the internet for the moment) as explained above can you ping the other machine?

John thanks again for the help.
whether the ip is manually configured or not I cannot get a ping . I have now tried two cables and also two PCs ( both of which have motherboard SIS fast ethernet on board.My router is\ web configured at 192.168.123.254 no password required.
I have tried all configs of DNS but to no avail.
When I have the PC hard wired in I have the steady connection light under LAN
However I dont know what the WAN settings are for
Anyone any ideas or could my US Robotics router have a Faulty Lan setup.
Lastly if I use DHCP it assigns IP addresses to The Ethernet which do not match that of the wireless side

192.168.123.254 is a local ip address and should probably be reconfigured to 192.168.0.1 . You wony be able to ping it unless its 123 is replaced with a 0 as its in a different ip range (assuming your machines are now 192.168.0.something).

WAN is wide area network ie the adsl connection to the modem and LAN is local area network for your local machines.

John you have me a bit confused
The IP of the router is 192.168.123.254

wirelessly by dhcp it assigns the clients anything from 192.168.123.(100-199) however if I turn off Dhcp and manually configure the TCP/IP settings for wireless network device then there is no longer any internet availabilitybut I can ping the router or laptop- but I do not know what to enter under primary and secondary DNS so I put the IP of the router as I think you suggested ie 192.168.123.254.
To add confusion the router if dhcp enabled is assigning to the LAN an IP of 169.254.80.189
Now if I have the LAN enabled then the Wireless also goes off ( or the PC chooses LAN first) and not even Ping is working.
This is starting to get me well p...ed off

Ok, I think I was slightly crossed wires with you, its difficult when I dont know exactly the ins and outs of your setup.

Looks like your dhcp is doing what it should but if you assign the ip's manually you will be able to ping each other but not get on the net. To get on the net you must enter working dns as well.

With my modem/router it provides dns forwarding which is why I suugested just point dns to the router, failing that just enter the isp's dns settings at each machine, you can probably get them from the isp's site. You could however normally use any, my plusnet ones are 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 , you can try those.

If that doesn't work then I'll pm you my phone number and I'll see if we cant talk it through. It could be something little we are missing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom