help with missing hard drive please?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all..
have just got one of the hp proliant micro servers and tried to put windows home server on via usb but got into problems...half way through install
...ended up putting windows 7 home priemium on this morning via usb with no probs.
2 problems though....
windows home server partitioned the 250 gb hard drive to 20 gb for the operating system install.....i left this for the windows 7 install and carried on completing the win 7 install with no problems.
...thing is now i'm up and running my system on 'my computer' only has the 20 gb hard partition showing with no sign of the rest of the 250gb's?

...the other problem is during start up i now get the option of the windows home server start up or the windows 7 start up which i have to select....no option to delete the link to windows home server

bit of a novice so any help getting rid of that and help getting the rest of the hard droive showing would be greatly appreciated.

.....if i have to do a reinstall how do i avoid the same mistake?
:confused:

thanks

regarding the hard drive side of things i've got into disk management and found 2 sections of the hard drive ...1 allocated for the operating system....and the one of the left (with the black bar above it) is unallocated....212.88 gb........tried right clicking it which according to a google should bring up an option to format....
homever no format option is there,,,just 'new simple volume'...'properties' and 'help'

....not sure what to do next on that side of things?

cheers.

The Windows disk management is limited and often best left alone. Instead I use Paragon Partition Manager Free but the latest version is for 32bit OS only - the 2010 version was 64bit compatible and is the version I use.

For the boot menu type 'msconfig' on the start menu. Select the 'Boot' tab and you can delete the unwanted startup option. Or another good program to do this is EasyBCD.

Mark.

thanks...
before i start installing programs would it be easier to start again ?
and how do i partition the drive during install....whilst i was installing win 7 the two partitioned options were already there left over from a half installed windows home server?

cheers.

thanks...
before i start installing programs would it be easier to start again ?
and how do i partition the drive during install....whilst i was installing win 7 the two partitioned options were already there left over from a half installed windows home server?

cheers.
When you see the screen with the partitions in Windows 7 setup, just press the options/advanced button at the bottom of the window, and this will allow you to add, remove and format partitions.

thanks....gone for a re-install....just formatted as per advice so hopefully once done all sorted.

cheers

re-installed and formatted hard drive with the idea of the 20 gb being the c drive one and the rest for storage......now its the other way round!
212gb is the c drive and 20gb the primary partition!

any way of changing it round without another install?

cheers

well.....all running ok now
...did another install as i thought i could do with the practice :blush:

must have left the bigger hard drive selected when it came to selecting which hard drive to install to :rolleyes:

thanks for the replys

cheers.

re-installed and formatted hard drive with the idea of the 20 gb being the c drive one and the rest for storage......now its the other way round!
212gb is the c drive and 20gb the primary partition!

any way of changing it round without another install?

cheers
20GB is way too small for a Windows 7 install anway. I'd recommend 60GB + Edit: it will soon fill up with Windows Updtaes, System Restore points etc.

Start again. It shows on on screen which partition it's going to install into...

thanks.....think it was the default partition from the win home server install......could'nt find a way to re-partition to 1 hard drive during set up so swapped it round now just in case.

cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom