Help with memory for my bundle

Westindieman

Upgrading my current system while I wait for HP Reverb G2 VR headset which I have on pre-order. I currently have an Asus MA5 A97 board with FX8350 CPU and GTX1060 GPU. I have normally custom built my systems pretty much hit and miss, however I have done a bit of research and reading up and decided on upgrading to Ryzen 5 3600 with an MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC board (though I could consider advice on whether a different 450 board could be better). I will purchase 16GB RAM as I have now but whilst I am trying to research weather to buy 1600, 2400, 3000 or other mhz RAM someone please help me to know what difference or what's best. As I said, my previous custom builds have been hit and miss with me buying on price and taking things back that didn't work, I want to be as close a possible to best first time. I will also be upgrading later to a RTX2060 super or 2070 GPU which was my first and easiest decision.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The same as always really, buy the fastest you can get that's not much more expensive than the cheapest.

At the moment I believe that's typically 2x8GB DDR4-3200 if you want 16GB. Possibly DDR4-3600.

DDR4-1600 was never really available outside of OEM systems while DDR4-2400 saves you very little money.

Westindieman

The same as always really, buy the fastest you can get that's not much more expensive than the cheapest.

At the moment I believe that's typically 2x8GB DDR4-3200 if you want 16GB. Possibly DDR4-3600.

DDR4-1600 was never really available outside of OEM systems while DDR4-2400 saves you very little money.
Thanks, I was inclining to the 3200. Are you sure my board would support 3600 which wouldn't cost much more?

I went to order the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC but stock is now struggling most places and I can see the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI which seems to be the same board with different facilities (ie AC supports Ryzen 7 whereas WIFI supports Ryzen 9). Hopefully a sideways move rather than downgrade.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Memory ratings are the minimum bandwidth they're guaranteed to run at with a compatible system, you can always run them slower.

So if your CPU's memory controller won't run at 3600 the only disadvantage is that you'd spent a little more money.

If you wanted to make sure then get a set with an SPD/XMP profile for 3200 as well as 3600 so your system will automatically set it to run at that speed rather than defaulting to slower and having to manually set it to 3200.

I went to order the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC but stock is now struggling most places and I can see the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI which seems to be the same board with different facilities (ie AC supports Ryzen 7 whereas WIFI supports Ryzen 9). Hopefully a sideways move rather than downgrade.
It's unusual for motherboards of the same brand, age and chipset to support different processors and looking at the CPU support lists for them on the MSI website that appear to be identical

It may be that the Ryzen 7 statement you saw was written before the release of the Ryzen 9-branded models.

Westindieman

Actually ive just noticed on awd-it.co.uk,
it lists the Carbon Wifi Supports DDR4 Memory, up to 4133(OC) MHz
and the Carbon AC - Supports DDR4-3466(OC) Memory

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom