1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with MediaSource Please!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by RB05, Aug 2, 2005.

1. RB05

RB05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im using Creative MediaSource to put my WMA's onto my Zen Touch. I'm using WMP to rip the CD's onto the PC.

However, almost 4 GB are gone and I only have 700 songs on it.

How do I change the settings in MediaSource?

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you bear with an hour or so, I'll try to tell you (my version of MediaSource has corrupted and needs totally reinstalling - and all registry links cleared out, too!)

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again, RB05!

Now tell me, what bitrate are you encoding at? Because if this is the source (no pun intended) of your problem, then it's a setting in Windows Media Player that needs changing, not a setting in MediaSource.

I've actually put to the test the DAP manufacturers' claims about average track lengths/file sizes versus space required on the hard drive, and I can confirm they're not far wrong. At 64kbps, with tracks at between 3 and 4 minutes long, I'm averaging about 500 tracks per 1GB - considerably more than yourself, it seems!

Using the formatted drive figure someone else posted elsewhere earlier today in another thread, this means your 18.5 (approx) of ACTUAL useable drive space would accommodate 9,250 tracks - so directly in line with the 10,000 tracks quoted by manufactuers of 20GB players, who always use the UNFORMATTED figure anyway (bit naughty, but still). :nono:

I can therefore deduce that you're encoding at a somewhat higher bitrate, hence why you're averaging fewer tracks per GB. Lower the bitrate - and (arguably, depending on your hearing ;) ) the resulting sound quality - and you'll pack more in.

I hope this helps. If you still think you need specific help with settings in Creative MediaSource, post here again or PM me and I'll try and help.

4. RB05

RB05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that.

I ripped CD's to to my PC at 64kbps (WMA) and then to the Zen at 64 too (WMA). However the quality wasnt as good.

If I rip the CDs to the PC at 90 or even 128 and then to the Zen at 64, would this improve quality and not use as much space?

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some argue that it's not a good idea to transcode one lossy codec to another - so basically, don't rip to 96 or 128kbps then convert down, as quality worsens. Personally, I've often transcoded without noticing any problems - but that's just me!

In short, stick with WMA files at, say, 128kbps, and just accept that you'll not get as much onto your player as the manual suggests - unless you're prepared to settle for lower bitrate/sound quality.

Incidentally, if you're familiar with your PC - and Windows Explorer in particular - you may find it easier AND faster to transfer tracks using drag 'n' drop via the Nomad Explorer function that you'll have undoubtedly installed when you first got your new toy. I always found this A LOT easier (especially as WMP kept fouling up on me doing it that way!).

6. RB05

RB05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking I should have got a 40GB now! Ah well.

As for the Nomad Explorer - maybe Im doing something wrong - but I cant follow that at all. All I see it is on the left album name/genre/artist and the right is the tracklisting - and it only seems to contain songs that are already in my Zen.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay. Do this:

Find the folder on the LEFT of the Windows Explorer screen in which the music you want to transfer is stored. Go to this folder and highlight the tracks you want, right-click and select COPY. Click the + beside Nomad Explorer, then the + beside Creative Zen Touch, then click once on Music Library. Now put your mouse cursor anywhere over all the tracks you see displayed over on the RIGHT of your screen, and right-click once and select paste. A dialog box will appear showing the transfer with estimated time, then when it disappears, the tracks you just choose will be on your player. Hey presto!