1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with media center video format

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by newstuart, Jan 1, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    HI everyone,
    I have a media center 2004 edition on my pc and am trying to put all my DVDS onto my hardrive to use as a "jukebox". I am loading them to the pc using DVD decroptor but this saves them in what i think is VTS format and i need my windows media player cant read them but my cyberhome player can.

Is there a way to convert these files so they can be read by my windows media player and therfor media center ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVDDecrypter can save in 2 basic formats: ISO and IFO. IFO is what you're seeing and that's great for DVD player software that can open ripped DVDs, eg. TheaterTek and PowerDVD .. unsurprisingly Media Player can't because you're not supposed to rip DVDs ;) (yes, I know, you own them and so do I, but there's no 'fair use' any more).

What you need is ISO mode, which creates an 'image' of the DVD on the hard disk. You then need something like Daemon Tools that creates a 'virtual' DVD drive and 'mounts' the ISO image .. you end up with a 'pretend' DVD drive with the DVD inserted which Media Player can open just like a 'real' DVD drive.

To convert what you've already ripped you'd need something like Nero to create the ISO image using the 'Image Recorder' feature .. there are other cheap ISO image creators and also some freeware open source tools, but they're less than user friendly IMX.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks alot ive also got nero so will look at this now

4. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to add here a DVDShrink. This tool will let you get rid of all unnecessary things from DVD (like chinese subtitles, tracks in german) that you will never use and hence saving the space on HD.

regards
    Darko

5. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "My Movies" is a plug-in for MCE 2005 that will do exactly what you want. I believe that "My DVD Collection" which is its predecessor will work with MCE2004.

Using DVDDecrypter I just copy the vob to the hard disk and then input them to My Movies and they play from the disk directly within MCE

Take a look here http://www.binnerup.dk/mce/mydvdcollection.htm

6. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    That is exactly what i was looking for had know idea it existed thankyou very much for pointing me in its direction

7. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I now have My dvd collection loaded and am trying to add some films off my hard drive
    these are stored in "my videos folder" as VIDEO_TS.Bup files and only seem to play through a Cyberhome player not windows media. I have downloaded daemon tools as I per one of the replies on here but am unsure of how to set this up.
    Basically what i want to do is

1)copy a DVD to the hard drive using DVD Decrypter
    2)Shrink the file using DVD2one
    3)open media center and MY DVD page then select the film and watch off the hardrive

I can watch all films now through the Cyberhome program but not media center which i need as pc is in a different room to the screen etc.
    Please excuse my ignorance if what im asking is obvious as im on a steep learning curve here