Help with matching sub to Kef reference 207

grayner71

Standard Member
Hi All

First time on here, I am nuts about AV, in fact I spent my house deposit on hi-fi about 7 years ago, what I did not buy which I have regretted was the KEF PSW 5000 to match the 207, not to mention the 204c center speaker, music was the priority. But run this as cinema with a projector as well, which I have just updated from sim2 30H to Epson TW EH 4400, am rather blown away by the improvement and want to beef up the cinema set up.

The matching sub I cant find anymore, but the Monitor Audio Platinum PLW15 I can stretch too and has about the same spec, would this be a good match, or will the different cones be a problem, I know there are better subs but have spotted this for £1750 a the moment, I was thinking of the Jamo D600, but the Monitor has more EQ control

room is 33L*15W* 8H, Im hoping it might assist with music as the Kef 207 are a bit bass light as well

Thanks for any advice

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Hi,

I think you should think long and hard about what to add to this system. Those are pretty big speakers and you will need a good sub to really do the system quality. We do various subs that would complement the system, and we do a single 15 for £1395 with a fair bit of built in eq (5 filter slope types usable across all filters, variable high and low pass filter settings, dynamic eq control, 8 PEQ filters, low and high shelf filter types, and 20 pre-set saves which becomes unlimited via the laptop control software), but I'd be tempted to say you really want a pair to do your system justice. In all honesty, I could see adding a subwoofer into your system as more problematic for the contentment of a critical music listener, unless you do it right. That said, if you feel the mains are a bit bass light then a sub is the obvious answer, and as long as you do it right, the results will be great.

Last edited:

grayner71

Standard Member
Hi Dav1DF

They are driven by with Musical fidelity tri vista 300, tri wired, I have wondered if this maybe the issue,

Thanks for response

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Hi Dav1DF

They are driven by with Musical fidelity tri vista 300, tri wired, I have wondered if this maybe the issue,

Thanks for response
I know the 207's aren't the bass monsters that they look, and will be a little lean compared to the likes of maybe the equivalents B&W's, but I've found that you need the right amplification to tease the bass out of them. They're efficient speakers (91dB if I recall correctly), but they like a lot of current and headroom to be able to 'be themselves'. Bryston is one of my favourite amplifiers with KEF Reference, and while I have found that the 4Bsst2 power amplifier works like a charm with the 205's, it just isn't quite enough for the 207's - they seem to work far better with the 7Bsst2 monoblocks. There may well be some slightly more pocket friendly options out there, but I haven't heard them. I had a similar issue when I owned Reference 4.2's - they sounded pretty amazing on the older 7B monoblocks, but I couldn't afford them at the time. so I had to settle for a 3B. Which sounded ok, but the level of bass halved in comparison.

Musical Fidelity used to work really well with Reference back in the 104/2 days, but that was when MF used to make some pretty serious powerhouses. Which back then, were probably more in line with their recent Titan power amplifier.

Yes, adding a sub will give you a quick, easy fix, and if that's the case, we have a Reference 208 sub available within your budget ( http://www.avforums.com/forums/18194170-post8.html ), but if your amplifier isn't getting the best out of your speakers, this won't just be affecting bass - it could be affecting the whole frequency range. In this respect, you could completely transform your speakers, and what you think they are capable of - to answer that, you'll have to get someone on home loan and see what improvements you find. If your amplifier really is doing a sterling job, then by all means research some subs. Unfortunately, I haven't heard your amp, so I can't comment on how good a job it s doing.

Last edited:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
David makes a very good point, bass is really hard to produce for speakers and asking speakers to do that job, and amps for that matter, is a fairly difficult task. No doubt your speakers could probably benefit from better amplification, and bi-amping them could be one solution.

Where abouts in the country are you, we could possibly loan you a subwoofer to try in your system for a one week demo, which would allow you to evaluate your system with a subwoofer, and give you an in home demo at the same time. At least that way, you could experiment a little without spending money before your sure what you should do.

Last edited:

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
I have 205/2's and a 203/2c and can get really good bass out of them, but you (and as David says) have to slap a good power amp on them.

I'm not a fan of KEF subs, which is why I have a Paradigm. That being said, it's at really good money, but I would definitely audition one of the Geko subs before deciding.

If I didn't own the sub I had now, I'd be talking to Dan Gecko for the Ultimate Sub Company or David for Ken Kriesel.

grayner71

Standard Member
Thanks for such great responses.

I think they can take more amplification but the amp I have is a beast see below trivista Tri-Vista
Dual Mono Integrated Amplifier, I expect more from it, to be fair it is cinema that I feel is more lacking than the music, as I think I will to fussey with tonal quality with music, I'm less discerning with cinema

Borrowing a sub for a trial does appeal, I am in East Sussex, if that works, let me know, Im happy with music, so am not going to go down the power amp root

AMP spec
Power: 350 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (25.5dBW),
600 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms
Peak-to-peak output current: 96 Amps
Damping factor: 210
Output devices per channel: 8
Pre-output impedance: 50 Ohms

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Thanks for such great responses.

I think they can take more amplification but the amp I have is a beast see below trivista Tri-Vista
Dual Mono Integrated Amplifier, I expect more from it, to be fair it is cinema that I feel is more lacking than the music, as I think I will to fussey with tonal quality with music, I'm less discerning with cinema

Borrowing a sub for a trial does appeal, I am in East Sussex, if that works, let me know, Im happy with music, so am not going to go down the power amp root

AMP spec
Power: 350 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (25.5dBW),
600 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms
Peak-to-peak output current: 96 Amps
Damping factor: 210
Output devices per channel: 8
Pre-output impedance: 50 Ohms
Ye we can sort you out a free demo no problems at all. PM me your details and we'll get it sorted out for you.