Help with Marantz SR5200 with.......

B

burnbank8

Phillips 32pw9617, Phillips Q50 DVD, and Kef KHT2005 speaker package.

Anybody out there have similiar components that can advise on
any aspects of any of the componenets and how best to integrate them...

One thing that is annoying is that i cannot get the on screen display for the Marantz to work on my TV, what connections do i require?

I have the SR5200

I dont use it for video switching

I have it connected to the DVD using coaxial. The dacs on the DVD player I have arent as good as the Marantz so I dont bother connecting the audio cables.

VCR and Sky are connected with analogue cables and thats it. Nice and simple.

4 phonos and one coaxial.

Speakers Mission Cinema 7are wired up in standard way. I can biwire fronts but havent (although did replace the standard clips on binding posts with speaker cable). havent got surround back yet, will get a KEF custom install if it sounds ok (no room for a speaker otherwise).

DVD connected to one scart (Svid -RGB shows no discernable improvement so Im not bothered)

Sky and VCR connected to ther scart (RGB for sky)

When I need to use OSD for amp I simply have a Svid lead trailing out from amp that I plug into sockets at the front of telly.

Once I had set speakers up and switched digital I/O for the DVD I havent needed teh OSD since.

Hope this helps

To get the OSD to work, you need to connect the "Monitor Out" on the amp to your TV.

There are 2 "Monitor Out" connections on your amp - one is composite and the other is S-Video.

To use video switching, simply connect all your components to the amp, and connect the 'monitor out' to your tv.

Chris

Mine added a tinge to the image so I dont use it. If you use the OSD with no video signal you can see the screen lighten on the left hand side (by lighten I mean it goes to grey from black).

Because I wasnt going to use it as a video switcher I wasnt concerned, but Id be interested to know if anyone else has this problem.

Originally posted by nunew33
Mine added a tinge to the image so I dont use it. If you use the OSD with no video signal you can see the screen lighten on the left hand side (by lighten I mean it goes to grey from black).

Because I wasnt going to use it as a video switcher I wasnt concerned, but Id be interested to know if anyone else has this problem.

I seem to recall seeing a very slight greying when the OSD is overlaid, not that it bothers me. I'd concur with nunew33 - I just don't use the OSD execpt to edit the set up. It just bugs me in normal use, since I can see enough detail about what's happening from the LED display.

My setup uses S-Video and digital co-ax to hookup a DVD to the Marantz. I've got a cheap analogue (3 phono) hookup which I used to first setup the DVD to use the S-Video/digital audio ports.

I've got a scart-6 phonos which connects a VCR, and a scart-3 phonos for ntl cable input. I use a single phono-scart for the monitor out to TV, which seems to work OK.

Five speakers (Liberty package from Richer Sounds) are connected with Gale XL189 - I haven't bothered with a sub, since I get enough bass for the room size from the floor-stands.

I do use the video switching for everything except if I'm watching one cable channel/recording another on VCR or vice-versa. I've got a scart-scart that interconnects VCR direct to TV for that.

HTH,
Nick

Nick, have you tried connecting your DVD and or cable direct using RGB-SCART. It may or may not be an improvement, on my TV it is but it depends on the TV.

I found that putting the video through the amp affected the signal
dettrimentally. It wasnt a "geeky 0.00000002% when the room temperature ,16.875C and there is a moisture quotient of 43" worse it was "Im a layman and I could see the difference" worse.

Originally posted by nunew33
Nick, have you tried connecting your DVD and or cable direct using RGB-SCART. It may or may not be an improvement, on my TV it is but it depends on the TV.

I found that putting the video through the amp affected the signal
dettrimentally. It wasnt a "geeky 0.00000002% when the room temperature ,16.875C and there is a moisture quotient of 43" worse it was "Im a layman and I could see the difference" worse.

nunew33,

Interesting, I've just bought a new TV - my old crappy, cheap Amstrad one fizzled and died for the third time in four years - so now I have 3 scarts instead of 1. Direct cabling is an option that I've not had before last night. I'll have a look to see if it makes a difference.

What sort of difference did you see/should I expect? Colour problems, edge definition or ghosting-type artifacts, or something else?

Nick

Putting the VCR through the amp on composite added diagonal lines (slight but enough to annoy).

Putting the DVD through on Svideo did a similar thing.

Without it the images were defect free. Assumed that putting the signals through a magnet minefield (the amp) where noprocessing was performed to clean the signal up was a pointless task and simply put video leads direct to TV

nunew33,

OIC. No, no obvious interference for me. I notice that the colour seems more saturated and the edge definition on contrasty transitions (e.g. ntl's purple channel ident overlays) doesn't seem quite as good as on the old TV, but that might just be that I haven't yet done anything to the new TV balance.

I haven't had a chance to try direct input yet (tonight was a happy evening spent re-routing surround speaker wires below floorboards instead), so I'll have to give it a go some other evening to see if there's a discernible difference.

<zebedee>Time for bed now though.</zebedee>

Later,
Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom