Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help with making a sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rudy2, Jun 1, 2005.

1. rudy2

rudy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, about a year ago, i had a Bookshelf system by Sony burn out on me, it came with a subwoofer that i took out(the actual speaker). It's a 120 watt speaker, 6 ohms @ 60Hz (I have no idea about the voltage, or amperage, and I googled and wasn't able to find anything else). I now have a Sony receiver, and would like to see if I can buy some kind of an amplifier to power this sub-speaker. My receiver only has a Subwoofer Out(looks like a normal RCA-type cable) for an Active Sub. Is it possible to buy some kind of an amplifier that will be able to power the speaker? If so, would this be cheaper then just going out and spending 100 on another sub, and throwing out the speaker I have?
    I'm not very familiar with electronics, any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    You can power the speaker with a separate amplifier ,it would be a wiser move to get a new sub, but at that price i would look second hand.

3. sonic65

sonic65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best bet would be second-hand. Check out the hardware adverts in our forum and search EBAY under "subwoofers" This will give you some idea on what to expect for £100

4. rudy2

rudy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so it isnt worth it to buy an amplifier and power the speaker?

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    You have already said that you have removed the speaker from its box. It is now a speaker drive unit and no longer a subwoofer. To become a subwoofer again it needs a properly tuned enclosure. Either the original or something you put together yourself. Now you are in the realms of DIY and might want to use the DIY forum to obtain further information. But, as you have already discovered, you know nothing about the drive unit. So it's going to be hard to get advice on a suitable enclosure for your speaker. Then you have to roll it off above its desired bass output. For that you need an electonic crossover or filter.

Best advice is (probably) save your pennies and invest in a secondhand BK XLS200. Always remember that there is actually something far worse than a no subwoofer at all. And that is a subwoofer which only pretends to be one. :suicide:

Regards
    Nimby