Help with making a figure 8 power cable

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I had ordered this power cable on Amazon but they have let me down by managing to lose the item before it even left the warehouse.
Amazon productIt was to power my TV which will be wall mounted and the cable was going to be run within the wall and under the floor to a power socket in a cupboard at the other end of the room. This is going to be in a garage conversion that is starting on Monday.
I have now ran out of time to source another one on time so am looking into running 2 core power cable that I will put a 3 pin plug on one end and a standard figure 8 (C7) plug on the tv end.
Can anyone tell me if this cable in B&Q would be the correcttype to use for this?
Also if anyone knows where I can buy a right angled figure 8 plug that can be wired onto a cable please let me know. I could cut the plug off my existing short cable and use that but I would rather find one that is meant for this purpose.

damo09

Marlins may be your best bet if there open..personally I'd stick with an official cable. All it needs is a rat or something to go wrong. Especially under floorboards

nheather

Distinguished Member
I would have thought that if you have got to buy the right-angled two pin plug it would be just as quick to buy a ready made lead (and cheaper).

Cheers,

Nigel

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Your pick may be different to mine but I wanted to do a similar job for my TV and replace a 2 pin kettle style IEC connector with a C7 fig 8 connector and simply couldn't find a suitable plug.

The only rewireable C7s I found were big and bulky and not helpful at all. TBH I can understand why as it must be really difficult to achieve the required standards of safety, particularly in regards to cable relief without being bulky or using a moulded plug design.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I would have thought that if you have got to buy the right-angled two pin plug it would be just as quick to buy a ready made lead (and cheaper).

Cheers,

Nigel
Thanks but there is no rush to buy the right angled plug. I can fit that to the cable in my own time. The cable however needs to be here for Monday so the builders can put it in place.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Put a flexible conduit in and then pull the cable in after, then all the stress is taken out. pull 2 in then if there any HDMI cables to pull in etc for flexibility.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Put a flexible conduit in and then pull the cable in after, then all the stress is taken out. pull 2 in then if there any HDMI cables to pull in etc for flexibility.
I am now thinking that might be my best option at the moment. Any idea what size I should get? I will need 2 quite thick hdmi cables and the tv power cable.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Definitely 2 runs one for power one for HDMI power can be 20mm hdmi with the size of the plugs i Personally would want at least 32mm, although its possible to get a pull wire / rope etc after install i personally would get it in the conduit before install.

Marvin the Android

Also if anyone knows where I can buy a right angled figure 8 plug that can be wired onto a cable please let me know. I could cut the plug off my existing short cable and use that but I would rather find one that is meant for this purpose.

As suggested by others you are going to have to pull a cable through afterwards if you can't source one before. You can't get any figure 8 plugs that are rewireable and if you did they wouldn't conform to standards. Same goes for something like a clover leaf as well.

John

having made a fig8 in the past , the plugs are a bit flaky unless youre prepared to spend significantly
Conduit it the way to go , especially if running HDMI as that can be flaky too . dont forget to run some cat5/6 too for when the HDMI doesn't work in the future or you break the plug pushing the TV back against the wall in the extention :facepalm:!

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Fit the cable in the conduit, then when your right-angle figure-8 plug on cable arrives, join it with either a bullet switch or an inline kettle socket/plug pair (you can source two-pin variants if your cable is two-core, to not fall foul of an unconnected earth).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom