Help with Lurton Telume

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by GreasyWeasel, Nov 1, 2005.

1. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I want to get a Lutron Telume dimmer but am confused by the different models. I found the info below on the three models they seem to make. I have 5 mains voltage (240V), 50W Halogen downlighters.

Voltage Description Capability Model #
    220-240 VAC Single-Pole/Multi-Location 500W Incandescent/Halogen (120V only) TIR-500-
    220-240 VAC Single-Pole/Multi-Location 500 VA Magnetic Low-Voltage TIR-MLV500-
    220-240 VAC Single-Pole/Multi-Location 500W Electronic Low-Voltage TIR-ELV500-

I am guessing I need the Incandescent version but the fact it then states "120V only" worries me. Can any one help me out?

Thanks

2. .borg

.borg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Note the ELV switches are for trailing (or lagging) edge electronic transfomers. These types of dimmers are not in general use these days.

MLV switches are for use with incandescent lights or tungsten or magnetic transformers. The MLV type switch is what most people would need.

You would need to check which type of transformer is running your lights.

Check this link for instruction manuals (this is where I bought all mine from and now have all 15 light switches change to telume and very happy with them all :clap: )

http://www.letsautomate.com/10450.cfm?

good luck

3. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm still slightly confused as to why there seems to be a incandescent version (TIR-500) and a Magnetic Low Voltage version (TIR-MLV) that according to the link you gave also works for incandescent lights. The link you gave doesn't appear to sell the TIR-500 version though.

For clarification I don't have transformers because the lights I have are mains voltage rather than low voltage.

Thanks again.

4. .borg

.borg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know tha answer to that but if you contact the guys at lets automate they are very helpful and will give you the best advise as they did with me. Just tell them what you have and want to do and they will tell you which models would be best suited to your use.

Good luck

5. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for that.

I actually found a UK number for Lutron themselves yesterday and gave them a ring. Apparently it is the TIR-500 (incandescent) version that I need for straight mains voltage halogen lights.

Cheers again.