Help with Lotus Elise install

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by nathsea, May 2, 2007.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all, i`m hoping for some advice on improving the sound in my Elise.

I currently have the JVC AVX2 head unit and stock speakers which are
    4" in the front and 5.25" in the rear.

I am intending on putting one of the small alpine powered subs in the footwell, as this has been tried and proven in an elise.

But for the rest of the stereo, I haven`t got a clue :eek:

My thoughts are, 4" (10cm) components in the front with tweeters mounted on the dash, and then 5.25 components in the rear with the tweeters mounted on the roll bar, above head height pointing downwards. This is right in line with the drivers / passengers ear.

Do i need components all round? I was then thinking I should probably amplify this lot as well, so would like recommendations on 4 channel amps.

I shall be doing this all at once, as i will be sound - proofing the car at the same time, and taking seats out , so don`t want to have to take them out more than once!

So hit me with your opinions, what would you do, what would you use. I`m not going to spend a fortune, as this is an elise after-all but i do like my music.

Cheers
    Nathan

2. R-P

R-P
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nathan,

An Elise is a 2 seater, right?

The fact that you have a 5.1 headunit doesn't make it easier... Otherwise I'd say: get rid of the rearspeakers and try to get small subs mounted in their place. It all depends on the room you have to play with, but sometimes you can make an adapterplate for a 5.25 hole and still mount a 6.5" speaker or sub.

Even though I have way more room than you (96 mondeo station), I went for the Helix 400 ([email protected]) and 1000 ([email protected]) to power my stuff (still has to be fitted into the coveringplate of the sparewheel). The Helix 500 Esprit ( :eek:) ) is a version that has like 4x40W and 1x150W(sub), and roughly 45x30x3.2cm... The height is why I picked them, so I could install them without ever being in the way. And even though they are one of the cheapest versions, they still come from Audiotec Fischer (also Brax) who have a name to uphold...

Generally sound coming from the back is frowned upon, but in your case it might be nice to be able to run the surroundmodes...

Just some thinking out loud, hope it adds something to your thoughts about the project.

Kind regards,
    R-P