1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Loewe Xelos problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by R P Smith, Oct 6, 2002.

1. R P Smith

R P Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Loewe Xelos I'm very happy with the picture quality. The only problem I have is with the AMD function, in this mode the TV is suppose to zoom out automatically to the correct picture aspect ratio when a widescreen signal is detected. On my TV it does zoom out correctly but then it zooms back to 4.3, this will zoom in and out until I hit the aspect button, and sometimes it won't find the right aspect.
    Even with the AMD button turned off the stupid thing will still want to zoom out on it's own accord,which is a real nuiscence as you have to keep hitting the aspect button.
    Some one said it's because my Pioneer DVD has had the zone free function enabled on the DVD, but it will do the same on my Digital STB.

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to watch you don't have the same function switched on twice - in other words, your Digibox or DVD sends a widescreen signal down the SCART and the TV has its own detection system and the two interact with each other.

To complicate matters there are potentially two switching signals, one down pin 8 of the SCART and another at the top of the TV picture - it's the series of white dots and dashes you get at the top left of the picture in some news footage.

I found that with a Hitachi set I recently had, it was best to keep all the screen size settings to 4:3 with the widescreen switching switched off at the TV and after that, the DVD and the Sky box automatically switched it from 16:9 to 4:3 and back without any intervention from me.

Unfortunately a new 42" TV I got last month takes the opposite tack and is not responding to any widescreen switching so I have to do it from the remote - a bit of a pain until I get a fix...

Try undoing all the WS settings on the TV and see if your boxes can do the switching - you need to have the SCART control enabled on the Digibox menu and the DVD and Digibox set to 16:9.

Nice TV though...hope you find a fix, as the dealers seem to know nothing about these matters.

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try calling the Loewe tech desk, they are much better than any other tech desk I've spoken to.
    01292 47 1552.

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    01292 - that's the code for Ayr, which is just up the road from me - does Loewe have an office there?

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure Jim, but their H/O is somewhere in Bonny Scotland.

6. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old thread so don't know if you have sorted your problem. But I was having exactly the same issue with the aspect ratio changing itself every 10 seconds or so. It came down to the Profigold scart lead I was using between my DVD and TV, I replaced it with a Thor scart from Maplin and everything has been fine since.