Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help with linking TV to amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Andy Man, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Andy Man

Andy Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I recieved a regular amplifier (Cambridge Audio A1 VERSION 3) for Christmas and am wanting to know whether this can be linked up to my TV. There is a single scart socket in the back of my TV and 2 RCA sockets in the back of my amp. To make the matter even more complicated I have an xbox and want t be able to play on my xbox with the sound coming out of my speakers (which are linked up to my amp). I am assuming that is possible to link my amp to my TV because it says AV on the top of the sockets along with CD, Tape and AUX. Do I need to buy an AV amplifier for this to work?
    Thank you for any help given
    Andy

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Andy - Does your tv not have 2 rca outputs i.e. for stereo use (red & white). If you just connect these from your tv to the amp you should be able to utilise your stereo speakers for tv sound. I imagine you have only 2 speakers?

If you want surround sound (i.e. 5 speakers) then you'll need an av amp or receiver.

3. Andy Man

Andy Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, my TV is small and old and only has a scart and arial sockets in the back. But I have a block connecter from scart to 3 RCA. I tried linking 2 RCA leads (a red and a white) into this block from the back of my amp but it didn't work. I have a feeling that this will only work on the AV channel and not with the normal TV channels. Thanks for your help any way.
    Andy