Question Help with limited speaker and amp selection?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yazooo, Jun 10, 2015.

1. yazooo

yazooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all,

Due to living in the Middle East I have a limited selection of speakers and AV amps than can get my hands on. I'm relocating my current Denon + Q Acoustics setup to another room so need to a new setup to go with a recently purchased Samsung 65 UHD TV.

I am able to get hold of Monitor Audio Bronze BX speakers locally, 5.1. Not much esle around I can find. (acutally checked at getting speakers shipped to me which is GBP 200 so that is an option as I am paying GBP 1700 for the above speakers locally).

Amps are looking thin on the ground so I might be able to pick one up during my summer break in the UK, two I am looking at are Onkyo NR-747 and Yamaha V779. Will have no time to test anything out, will have to quickly grab and somehow stuff in a suitcase! Couple of things I'm unsure about, Yamaha have no support for DTS-X and Atmos, but unsure if I'll miss that? Apart from that think Yamaha amp would pair best with the speakers? Also, can I switch off the 4k upscaling? Think the TV does a pretty good job already and wouldn't want to lose that.

My primary use is movies, but a fair bit of music will be played, streamed HBR MP3 + FLAC.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone fancies a trip to Oman and wants to be my AV muel some beers await :)

2. yazooo

yazooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've decided to open up the budget a little to the next model up in both those amp ranges.

For the speakers think I have little choice but the Monitor Audio due to availability. Again, any recommendations on an amp that will be available in the UK during July/August that will pair well with those speakers will be greatly appreciated!

3. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Apparently Monitor Audio are a bit bright so you want a amp that is on neutral or warmer side. Since you already have a Denon, try that and report back.

Onkyo are also apparently bright so might not match. Yamaha should be a better match.

The only brand I own from what you listed is Yamaha.

4. yazooo

yazooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks, have been leaning towards Yamaha.

I would have to wait 6 months until I'm back in the UK to pick up an amp, hence why testing on my Denon will be limited if any. I could be patient...will be tricky.