Help with LCD purchase

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by spikey1, Jul 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can anybody help as I'm in the market to purchase a 32 inch (unfortunately there are no 34 in this country) LCD set.

I know there are a number of posts but none seem to answer all my questions.

Very good picture is what I'm after, I'm not worried about sound as I use an AV amp etc.

Space is quite limited so width is an issue, the narrower (without speakers) the better.

I have a budget of up to £3500 but prefer to spend less than £3000.

I will connect Sky+, DVD via scart and an SVHS video at the moment. I also have my amp (Marantz 7300) through SVHS as this is how I usually connect my xbox, PS2 and laptop. I think a manual RGB scart switcher will be in order so hopefully they've improved.

I really need to be able to view true 16:9 but don't mind borders, as I watch a lot of films.

I've taken a quick look at the Sony, with the speaker below but with the new Vega engine and the picture looks pretty good but is it 16:9?

I also like the look of the Panasonic (don't know the model number) but I think its 15:9 and has large speakers at the side. The samsung also looked pretty good but again I think 15:9 and not adjustable.

Sorry for such a long post but £3.5k is a lot of dosh to fork out it it isn't right. The alternative is sticking with CRT as thats what I have at the moment and it does fit!

2. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Nobody have any views then?

Does anybody own any 32 inch so can give any info?

Cheers.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    If I were you I'd have a look on www.rgbdirect.co.uk as they7 have a huge selection of lcd players. Panasonics 32" 32TXLD1 has had good reviews in what hifi mag and is £2,200 ish. 1280 by 768 or 15:9 screen ratio. Though I wish the speakers on the side weren't so big, (or were detachable). Toshiba's 32WL46B looks interesting as the speakers are underneath, has a supposed 16:9 screen res of 1366:768, (though I have seen it quoted as 15:9 1280 etc..), is cheaper at £1800 and has 2 component and 3 scart inc 2 rgb. review coming this month in what video and widescreen tv. Sony have some nice looking/specced lcd's. Phillips has a new 32" lcd, pf9966 or something. Go have a look, see what interests you. :)

4. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you not fancy a plasma then Spikey?

I have the Sony KE32TS2, and it's great. And it would leave you a good wedge of cash to spend on extras!

I expect that LCD will drop quite a bit in price in the next year or so as it becomes more popular, and there are more advances to be made in the area of PQ on LCD. Might be best to stick, and twist a bit later!

5. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spikey

I am also in the look out for a 32inch (at least) LCD. From what I have found out (from various Mags and the Forum members) is that the two sets to go for would be the Philips 32pf9986 or the Sharp G series. Both are true 16:9, most other LCD's are 15:9 (not sure about the Tosh, but this has had mixed reviews).

Both have +'s and -'s. The Sharp comes in two flavours, one with speakers underneath and a digital tuner. One with an analogue tuner and speakers on the side. On both the speakers are removable. Also, the Sharp comes with an external AV box.

The Philips has rather a large surround to it with speakers at the side. No separate AV box, Three Scarts (2 RGB) and a DVI input that takes all flavours of component input. Also comes with pixel plus 2 which is supposed to improve the picture very well.

Both are hard to come by at the moment, the Philips suffering a recall and the Sharp has only just been released (I think).

One other that may be worth the wait is the Loewe Xelos and Spheros. Having owned Loewe TV's for a while, I am sure they will come with plenty of input selections. They are sharing the Sharp screens, and have a separate AV box with there own chassis inside - which is upgradeable as are all there TV's to add extra cards such as digital/sat tuner/vga or dolby digital sound.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters too much :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers Masher

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Could you point me in the direction of the Toshiba reviews, (either 26/32WL46B models), as I'm interested in them as an intermediate tv and poss, a future spare room/bedroom tv. :)

7. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    are you sure you're not thinking of the older model 36. The Toshiba lcd's I'm talking about have yet to be reviewed in any mag I've come across. It's the new 26"/32" WL46. Will be reviewed in the forthcoming tv + vid mag, out 5th August. :)

9. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob

didn't realise there was a new model out.

Sorry for any confusion - look forward to the new review as Tosh'd usually come with the better set in inputs, especially compared to the Philips.

Cheers Masher :)

10. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm not really in the market for plasma as I play games quite a lot and use nothing but sky for TV so screen burn could be a problem.

The Phillips has a nice picture but a huge case, it would fit but I'd rather use the extra room on screen size (why has it been recalled?)

Does anybody know anything about the new Sony with the so called NEW Vega engine, it comes in 2 flavours the very good looking "floating screen" type but this is big and the other with the speakers underneath which in high street shops retails for £2999?

Cheers again.

11. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    There's a review of the "floating glass" screen - the 32MRX1 in this month's Home Cinema Choice, if that's of any use to you. They seemed to like it but reviews can be a little "erratic" at times. I've seen it and thought it was very nice indeed but I'm no expert. Sorry but I haven't seen the other one you refer to.

I think the Philips was recalled due to problems with the ambilight affecting the remote control and there was some talk of a fault to do with a possible fire hazard (although I think this has since been repudiated by Philips). Do a seach in this forum for it and I think you'll find a largeish thread devoted to it.